How to ballpark get this Guitar tone ?

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
I love the guitar tone of Sevendust Seasons and Next albums ......and maybe a little of Caliban's last album too.

I currently use Line6 HD147 w/ Crate Blue Voodoo cabs using a dual rec. setting.

I get fairly close to to a mix of these tones with my setup, but I lack the raw bite and crunchy clarity of these albums.

How do I get that ? that mean metal crunch without the buzzy high end ? recording or live.

With tubes. You will fight a losing battle with the Line 6 stuff. I know because I fought this battle for years, I championed the cause like a drunken idiot, and you can still hear me fighting it on my band's demo!

Don't get me wrong, amp modeling is great for getting ideas down late at night, but it's just not there yet in terms of clarity, punch, and rich harmonic overtones. Give Line 6 another couple of years though - they are closing in on it.

I've since moved on to a 5150 rig, and I'm much happier. Live and in-Studio.

ApolloSpeed said:
I love the guitar tone of Sevendust Seasons and Next albums ... How do I get that ? that mean metal crunch without the buzzy high end ? recording or live.
I like that tone also. It sounds to me like a 5150 with the gain set fairly moderately...

kelch said:
I like that tone also. It sounds to me like a 5150 with the gain set fairly moderately...

Well, I know that Sevendust uses randall cabs live, I've seen them.....

and that they are endorsed by Randall Titan and Vmax.

But I wondering if they really recorded with that setup ??

LOL, they probably used high dollar Bogner or Framus for recording, and just use Randall for the road.:confused:

Randall Cyclones in particular are pretty awesome. I still prefer a tube amp myself. I am pretty sure that Sevendust used Mesa Dual Rectifier heads in studio (not sure about cabs.)

Kazrog said:
I am pretty sure that Sevendust used Mesa Dual Rectifier heads in studio (not sure about cabs.)
really, never would have guessed... I'd like to try those settings with mine.

Kelch-

Brooks said:
Give it another 5 years, tube amps will be almost obsolete.

What it's going to take is a high end product in the $1000 USD + range. The cost of doing component level modeling and R&D is high enough that ultimately, mid-to-low-priced gear like the Line 6 stuff isn't likely to go that route. Most of the user base of the Line 6 stuff isn't savvy enough about sound to notice that their amps sound inferior to tube amps.

That being said, Line 6 has the best emulation currently, so who knows. They've built a platform with Vetta and XT that they will ultimately have to move beyond, and it's going to take more processor power to deliver the goods.

I will give up tube amps for emulation the day that they can fool me into thinking I'm playing through my 5150.

yea....my live sound from the 800 dollar hd147 hangs with most sub-2000 dollar head out there. Plus it has effects and tuner built in too!

Recording sound need a little advancement though........

maybe I just need to mess with the settings some more, after all Line6 makes a SHITLOAD of parameters....even on the hd147's.

ApolloSpeed said:
yea....my live sound from the 800 dollar hd147 hangs with most sub-2000 dollar head out there. Plus it has effects and tuner built in too!

I'm sorry but your amp can't compare to a Marshall JCM800, Triplexxx or a peavey 5150.
Uhm I got a digital amp and a 5150, 5150 wins! it's alive.
Digital sounds fake, but I can say recorded it's not that bad.
It's really different when you play through a tube head and a digital one.
With tubes you got a dirty sound and your balls rattling, with digital a harsh sound and your balls just firming.
Maybe just matter of taste, but I tried hd147/flextone/vetta and the sound is not big.
IMHO

Maurizio

kaomao said:
I'm sorry but your amp can't compare to a Marshall JCM800, Triplexxx or a peavey 5150.
Uhm I got a digital amp and a 5150, 5150 wins! it's alive.
Digital sounds fake, but I can say recorded it's not that bad.
It's really different when you play through a tube head and a digital one.
With tubes you got a dirty sound and your balls rattling, with digital a harsh sound and your balls just firming.
Maybe just matter of taste, but I tried hd147/flextone/vetta and the sound is not big.
IMHO

Maurizio

You must not have tried the HD147 for long. It's a great amp.

MilkAndCheese said:
You must not have tried the HD147 for long. It's a great amp.

I think it's a great amp as well, but it cannot compete with 5150, triple xxx, mesa dual rectifier, etc.

Curious to see what Line 6 will have to offer at the NAMM convention this year. Last year, they introduced no new products at NAMM and didn't even have a product booth, just an upstairs room with literature and instant coffee! Lame!