How can I get better guitar tone?

farside

Aug 13, 2003
Buffalo
www.myspace.com
I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm never happy when I go for a heavy guitar tone ...I do a lot of hardcore and metal.

I use Les Pauls, JCM800's, 5150, Mesa Triple Recs, Sovtek Migs ...1960 cabs, Mesa cabs and I even have a vintage Orange cab so theres no excuse there.

sm57's on and off axis in different combinations, 421's, e609's

I can never get the frequency seperation and clarity I want. If I keep the bass low and up the mids it never sounds full. It just never sounds HUGE.

Right now I only have the stock pre's in my Soundcraft Ghost ...I'm thinking better pres will help with frequency seperation and focused clarity ...Am I on the right track or should I try something else?

heres some of my stuff.
http://www.myspace.com/echobasestudios

Have you tried using a multibandcompressor on your guitars? If the guitarsound sounds full when chunking and more flat when playing chords you might first check the settings on your amp. Otherwise try using a multiband with settings around 100-300hz. Put a high threshold and a ratio like 3:1. Put an EQ infront of it and boost the same area a couple of dB(don't overdo it).

Otherwise these tips usually work:

1. Change strings
2. Change tubes
3. Change cabs/ microphones
4. Change guitar
4. If nothing of the previous pointers works, change the guitarplayer.

Goddamn Guitar said:
Have you tried using a multibandcompressor on your guitars? If the guitarsound sounds full when chunking and more flat when playing chords you might first check the settings on your amp. Otherwise try using a multiband with settings around 100-300hz. Put a high threshold and a ratio like 3:1. Put an EQ infront of it and boost the same area a couple of dB(don't overdo it).

Otherwise these tips usually work:

1. Change strings
2. Change tubes
3. Change cabs/ microphones
4. Change guitar
4. If nothing of the previous pointers works, change the guitarplayer.

I usually dont compress guitars, but I'll give that a try. You're saying I should compress and boost in the 100-300hz range? ...I thought that was the area most metal guitars cut?

strings/tubes/cabs/mics and guitars shouldn't be the problem ...Players ...eh not much you can do about that.

fabz said:
I think it's sounds ok for a Demo. Not great but quite good. But the songs sound a little dull . Try giving the mixes more high frequencies...

But than again i sit in front of my el cheapo plastic home loudspeakers...

btw welcome to master sneaps forum!

Everything sounds like crap on Myspace ...theres more highs and lows in there then you can hear. I've been actively doing this for about a year but I feel my mix's have hit a wall in the last month or so.

I've been lurking the forum for a while but I figure I'd start posting since this spot is more suited to the kind of music I actually do.

farside said:
I usually dont compress guitars, but I'll give that a try. You're saying I should compress and boost in the 100-300hz range? ...I thought that was the area most metal guitars cut?

strings/tubes/cabs/mics and guitars shouldn't be the problem ...Players ...eh not much you can do about that.

If you want that fullness of the guitar it can be found in the region 150-350hz depending on how you tune your guitars.

I listened to the demo from the site and agree with fabz, you should work some more with the highs. Maybe put an exciter on the masterbus. The demo sounds pretty descent though!

farside said:
I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm never happy when I go for a heavy guitar tone ...I do a lot of hardcore and metal.

I use Les Pauls, JCM800's, 5150, Mesa Triple Recs, Sovtek Migs ...1960 cabs, Mesa cabs and I even have a vintage Orange cab so theres no excuse...

Check here for lots of pointers and entertainment. And then if you get interested you can go to the source here.

Slipperman Rocks.