How to ballpark get this Guitar tone ?

modeling guitars are geigh ! i don't like the feel.

and I have owned both the 5150 and mesa..... the HD147 can sound just like mesa....and nearly like 5150 Live !!

I hope that line6 is being hush hush on a new head that will deliver better in recording atleast.

ApolloSpeed said:
modeling guitars are geigh ! i don't like the feel.

and I have owned both the 5150 and mesa..... the HD147 can sound just like mesa....and nearly like 5150 Live !!

Sold mesa and 5150 for hd147?
For me hd147 had just one good sound: Mesa emulation, the other sounds were thinny.
I have in my rehearsal room these amps: Mesa dual, 5150 and Engl Powerball, these sound in a very different way compared to digital amps.
Full dynamics (specially mesa and engl) hd147 was not very dynamic, but apart this, the sound of HD147 is not typical of a tube amp

ApolloSpeed said:
I hope that line6 is being hush hush on a new head that will deliver better in recording atleast.

Hey I think hd147 recorded is not bad, on line6 site they have great clips.
Maybe I played not that much through them, but I own a H&K Zenamp that has got very good vintage sounds, but if I plug my guitar in a marshall plexi , I notice the difference.
Don't know! digital at the moment is not so real as a real amp.

I'll admit, I've heard recordings with the HD147 and they sounded pretty good. They're the first piece of line6 gear that hasn't made me ANGRY that people are actually using it instead of real guitar amplifiers.

Like everyone's said, it'll still be 5 years (I'm going with 10 or 15 years) before modelling sounds up to snuff.

The market value of tube gear will drop instantly, and finally I'll be able to afford a THD, VHT, Engl, and Bogner head! Although by then I won't need them.

ah well. such is life...luddites be damned, the new order is coming whether we like it or not...