How to Determine What Frequency Changes Take Place

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
So here's the deal, I have this MXR M-80 Bass DI box. Great little unit in the vein of the Sansamp Bass Driver. The thing about this unit is that it has this lovely little button labeled "color" that enabled a preset EQ curve to the whole signal. Obviously it sounds like a scooped mid but I'm having a hard time emulating this in my DAW.

MXR has what frequencies the individual bass, mid and treble EQ knobs control - but nothing about the "color" switch. Would there be a way to record two takes through this (either run a sine, or bass lick) with one with the switch off and everything else flat, and one with the color switch on and be able to list what the exact changes are (what's boosted, what's cut) ?

Sorry if I didn't explain this well enough. I like the color switch, but think at times it's a little too drastic.

Taking the "coloured" one thru a spectral analiser maybe? you'll see what freqs are boosted or cut there, just compare it to the original.
That would be my "I don't know anything about audio analizing" way to do it, cause I don't know any better

Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't really had to do something like this and wasn't sure what route. Is there a free VST anyone could recommend?

Get the demo version of Voxengo Deconvolver, record a sine wave both ways (switch on and switch off), then deconvolve them - the impulse you'll be left with will be the difference in the spectrum between the two. Then you just need to look at that in a normal spectrum analyzer thing - there's loads of free ones about. It's a bit long winded but what you'll be left with will literally be the effect of the switch and nothing else.

Steve

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
Get the demo version of Voxengo Deconvolver, record a sine wave both ways (switch on and switch off), then deconvolve them - the impulse you'll be left with will be the difference in the spectrum between the two. Then you just need to look at that in a normal spectrum analyzer thing - there's loads of free ones about. It's a bit long winded but what you'll be left with will literally be the effect of the switch and nothing else.

Steve
and you can use the impulse for simulating the "colour" option in your DAW later