How to do this vocal trick? (Andy you know the answer)

Mat Laperle

RedDuskStudio
Dec 30, 2006
Montreal
www.myspace.com
hey I was wondering, how Andy did this vocal trick with the song loosing sight by as i lay dying. We can hear this thing on a couple of as i lay dying and living sacrifice songs... Colin did something similar too on the song within destruction..
It's people talking in background, but I'm wondering which plug-in was used to create that nice effect?

here's a 30 seconds clip of what I'm talking about
http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/deadisalive/howtodothis.mp3

theres alot of ways to get that......and any will work........sounds like there's Distortion on it..........and a eq with all the treble and bass cut...........so it gives it the megaphone effect

It probably is people talking in the background. :lol:

But yeah, distortion, heavy eq'ing (HPF and LPF most likely), maybe some slight verb, should get fairly close? I've done it before with layered "creepy random whisper" tracks.

Whats a good plugin for distorting vocals?

Also would you apply this on a buss or right on the talking vocal track to get this effect??

Good to know!

A bit off topic, but how does one achieve the Opeth/Steven Wilson "telephone" effect on vocals?

-Joe

I know the telephone effect can be done by high and low pass and only leave the 1k section or the 3k section maybe boost these freq also but you just get rid of highs and lows....

Good to know!

A bit off topic, but how does one achieve the Opeth/Steven Wilson "telephone" effect on vocals?

-Joe

If you have Cubase/Nuendo there is a telephone preset on the built in channel EQ's. If not, here's a screenshot of the eq settings.

phoneeq.JPG
http://sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/cobhc/phoneeq.jpg

Telephone impulse. LOL that'd work. But the easy way is EQ...as many have already mentioned.

Wilson uses a bunch of different effects for his telephone sound. one of my favorites is to use a really short delay and create a comb filter. It sounds great!

I have made this one week ago, like other guys says try with the telephone eq and add some gain with amplitube, it will work nice!

another cool way to get that telephone effect...

mic up a telephone with a condensor mic and crank/krank the gain. just make sure your signal path is clear and free of hiss.

plug in wise Pro tools LE comes with the cosmonaut filter effect thing, but you get this annoying little bleeps and squelches. T-Racks EQ has a kickass preset for it aswell.

ill agree with ghostofbridgeport, izotope trash is fucking amazing for vocal effects, even the delay on that is kinda cool.