Metal to the MAX!, Remixed my band's song Hall of Nightmares! "How Do Master Bus?"

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hey Guys!

In the past my recording noobness had led me to screwing up my mixes by:

1. Overdriving the Master Bus
2. Not knowing what I'm doing with a Master Bus compressor.
3. Hammer smashing my mixes with a limiter into obliteration.

I asked myself "How Do Master Bus?"

I re-mixed one of the recordings I did with my other guitarist, trying to fix these issues.

The song is called Hall of Nightmares, and its about this one haunted slaughter house (pretty metal)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7480021

The screaming vocals aren't that great, but we have a ballsy maiden-esque clean singer that will be singing a lot of the lyrics. We just recorded all the lyrics with screaming as a placeholder for now and in the final song they will just be on certain phrases and stuff.

I'm not super happy with the guitar tone, because we used Line6 plus impulses at the time and I don't have the DI's to change it.
But since we are re-recording this soon, no biggy.

Oh and the guitar playing is pretty sloppy in general, we just wanted to get an idea of how the song would sound all put together.

I was wondering your thoughts, on the mix. We are going to re-record this song soon but I figured I'd get some mixing/mastering practice in

And I hope you like the song in general!

Hahaha, man, that Lowberg guy's a dick, huh? :p

But let's see - you already put a disclaimer about the guitars, so I'll ignore those, but otherwise sounds pretty good (considering the guitar tone :ill: ) - the snare could really use a lot more snap/pop though, it's getting buried IMO, and same with the kick (though maybe just turning that up would help). Also, I would tighten up the performance on the solos, but they're cool musically! And I like the bass sound too, so no complaints. Also, I feel like I may be hearing some pumping on the master bus; it's subtle, but enough to make me kinda fatigued. It's hard to guage much of anything objectively with that guitar tone though :erk:

Oh yeah, and the vocals have too much in the lower mids going on IMO, sounding kinda stuffy - was this by any chance a 57? (or 58?)

Thanks for the advice Marcus!

You were right Vocals were 57!
I really dont know how to EQ screaming vocals very well :(

Bass was just an direct signal from an ibanez 6 string with active pickups, some compression/distortion added

Yeah the performance of everything sucked, we just wrote it and wanted to see what it sounded like recorded, the solos were just dicking around.

I'll mess around with the snare and kick, they are both samples and the rest are from Addictive Drums.

I cant wait to re-record this stuff, its kind of hard when im at school to get everybody organized though :(

Yeah, I hear that dude, especially this semester, it's been hell! Looking forward to the next version! :headbang: And yeah, the 57/58's really seem to heighten those stuffy/wooly (ding ding ding!! Buzzword alert :D) mids on vox; sucking out a hearty portion of 200-500 Hz would do good for the clarity of 'em I'd reckon!