How to find Sample Transient?

shine

Crunchy
Jan 7, 2007
Hi,
I've been having some trouble with the making of drum samples. And I could really use some of your help guys!

2 Q:

First: Can anyone tell me, looking from these pics where is the "RIGHT" transient?

Normal view

Transient1normal.jpg

ZOOM

1 or 2?

Transient2zoom.jpg

Transient3normal.jpg

ZOOM

1 or 2?

Transient3zoom.jpg

Second: Should I align the rest of the tracks to the snare track or leave them as they are?

Aligning.jpg

Any advice would be helpful!

You know, I have wondered the same in the past about the transients. I'm like 80% sure it's the VERY beginning of the hit though, being the stick attack.

As for aligning the other drum tracks with the snare, that's a big no-no. Check the phase on all of the tracks and flip the phase before you go moving tracks around. The slight delay between mics is what gives the drum kit a "real" feel.

You know, I have wondered the same in the past about the transients. I'm like 80% sure it's the VERY beginning of the hit though, being the stick attack.

As for aligning the other drum tracks with the snare, that's a big no-no. Check the phase on all of the tracks and flip the phase before you go moving tracks around. The slight delay between mics is what gives the drum kit a "real" feel.[/QUOTE]

Well, me too. But if the program makes a "mistake" like this, then, what's the point of this feature...

Regarding that aligning thing. I was curious, is it ok to align the other tracks to the snare track, when making multi samples with room and oh mics? The idea was either to align them and export all the tracks as a stereo file! Or leave them as they are and do the export?

Group the tracks, cut at the first transient in the group, i.e. usually the top snare mic. Don't cut each track individually.

#2 is where you should cut in both pictures. It's pretty obvious that's where the sample starts - it goes from silence to very obvious not silence.

I agree, but, then again, Cubase isn't 100% accurate...

Well, me too. But if the program makes a "mistake" like this, then, what's the point of this feature...

Which "mistake", and how do you mean it isn't "accurate"?

Cut at #2, as other said.

Regarding where to cut the other mics:
Assuming they phase is fine already I always group the tracks and "start" the room/overhead samples where I cut the direct snare track.
That way the "natural delay" is already in the sample.
Still have to watch the phase when you use it with other samples than the ones you made it with though.

If you mean tab to transient, use it to find the transients, you may have to adjust to start of the waveform.

#2. Don't rely on Tab to Transient. It's not accurate enough. Don't time align, either. Use T2T to get close, then zoom and slice manually. I know it sucks and takes a ton of time, but it's the only way to be sure your samples are spot on.

Yep! Exactly what I did after reading this thread! Definitely the only way to be 100% sure!

Thanks everyone!