How to finger a guitar solo

Slink

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2006
Hey guys. I'm trying to learn my first quick guitar solo.. the one in Iron Man. I'm having a couple problems, especaly at the end of the tabs I posted below.

I can't seam to play the part fast enuf but even slow it sounds kinda choppy. I guess because my fingers spend more time coming on and off the strings than holding the note. It makes me think im not fingering it right.

Take the last two dropdowns for example. I'm only using my index and ring fingers. Should I use more fingers so the next note is pressed down a note before I'm ready to pluck it? Or perhaps I just need to ditch my squire stratocaster guitar? :tickled:

Code:
|----------------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------------------------------
|----------------------------------9-9---------9-9---------
|-------------------------9-9-9h11-----11p9--------11p9----
|-----7h9-9p7----7h9-9/11-------------------11----------11-
|-7h9---------9h-------------------------------------------

Dont have a guitar here (at school), but you can play that with 2 fingers, and make a postion shift when you do the slide 9/11. I don't know how you'd finger it wrong. If it's choppy then go really slow and work it out, lift your fingers off the strings as little as neccessary, you should learn this now.

The guitar isn't the issue at all.
Use your pinky instead of the ring finger so it gains strength and you'll get use to using it for wider, faster runs. Also make sure your fingers aren't flying up off the fretboard always keep them close. Also you should use alternate picking and the picking motion should be in the thumb and index finger and not the wrist.

I had my pinky snapped out of place in a fight last year, any tips for playing when it veers in more than it used to?