How to fix a 'tight' calf...

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
So last night I had what is probably one of the most painful things, a calf completely tighten up. I swear it must be what getting stabbed feels like. Anyhow, now its really tight, and I'm limping around. Anybody know a good way to loosen it up and get it back to normal? I really wish these things just wouldn't happen. But its probably ever few months...

Jogging stretch I do before I go running.

Stand with your feet about 3 ft away from a wall, feet facing the wall. Take one step forward while keeping your other foot planted flat where it was. Lean forward onto your front leg, until you can rest your elbows on the wall. Keep your heel planted, and your knee straight, and start to stretch that calf out. Give it 15 seconds, then swap legs. Keep doing that 4 times for each leg, or until it feels stretched out and doesn't feel painful to do this. Do it in the morning and at night after work some time.

Next day, same thing. Do it every day. After a few days, start with your feet planted a little further away from the wall, so you can stretch your calves at a stronger angle.

And yes, chug that water. Water's good for you anyways.

man.....one day i woke up after a night of rather intense drinking, and i stretched out both of my legs and got intense cramps in both of them....and i was still a bit tipsy. walking the 20 feet or so to the bathroom was really difficult lol. wish i had a suggestion for you, charlie-horses suck.

if it happens occasionally during sleep, etc., taking calcium supplements helps. If it is from abnormal activity like concerts, or from overuse, you can lie on your back, pull your feet in so your knees are bent pointing up. Place the calf of one leg over the other knee and you can either massage it, or use your knee to dig into the very tender areas for about 7 seconds, repeating 3-4x a day. (trigger point therapy self-help)

if it happens occasionally during sleep, etc., taking calcium supplements helps. If it is from abnormal activity like concerts, or from overuse, you can lie on your back, pull your feet in so your knees are bent pointing up. Place the calf of one leg over the other knee and you can either massage it, or use your knee to dig into the very tender areas for about 7 seconds, repeating 3-4x a day. (trigger point therapy self-help)

This technique also works with crossing your legs, say at your desk and using the knee. I had issues with tight calf muscles many times from running. I have a stick with little plastic rings on it that I use to massage my calves now when they get tight and it works well, but before that, the knee technique worked.

Stand with your feet about 3 ft away from a wall, feet facing the wall. Take one step forward while keeping your other foot planted flat where it was. Lean forward onto your front leg, until you can rest your elbows on the wall. Keep your heel planted, and your knee straight, and start to stretch that calf out. Give it 15 seconds, then swap legs. Keep doing that 4 times for each leg, or until it feels stretched out and doesn't feel painful to do this. Do it in the morning and at night after work some time.

Next day, same thing. Do it every day. After a few days, start with your feet planted a little further away from the wall, so you can stretch your calves at a stronger angle.

Stretching helps a lot to prevent cramps. You can also stand with your toes on a step with your heels hanging off the edge. Lower your heels as far as you can and hold for 10-15 seconds. Repeat 4-6 times.

I agree water is important. If you're sweating a lot sports drinks (in addition to not instead of water) are good to replenish Potassium. And the best calcium supplement in the world is 2 Tums tabs per day.

If it's still tight enough to make you limp after the initial cramp you may have a Charlie Horse. Not much you can do about that but apply hot packs, massage it, and stretch. It should resolve in a few days.

So last night I had what is probably one of the most painful things, a calf completely tighten up. I swear it must be what getting stabbed feels like. Anyhow, now its really tight, and I'm limping around. Anybody know a good way to loosen it up and get it back to normal? I really wish these things just wouldn't happen. But its probably ever few months...

Oh my god, I've had that happen before too, it's one of the worst feelings I've ever had, where it feels like the muscle is contracting so tight it feels like it's going to rip. I can only describe the pain as feeling like someone's running a red-hot poker down the inside of your skin.

*shudder*

I used to run and play soccer. My stretching before a workout was 20- min. My stretching before a game was close to 45 min (prelim. at home and about 30 min. at the field before the game). In addition to Bryan's technique, which is my favorite, at the end of the calf stretch, maintain the downward pressure on your heel and slowly come up on your toes. This stretches the Achilles, also. I didn't learn how to do this until I was in my 30's!! If you stretch before a run, workout or sporting event, stretching after you're done is equally inportant. If you regularly stretch your quads, hams, calves and Achilles, it will lessen the chance of a knee injury.

Chris :headbang: