How to identify a bad DI?

jarenare

Apr 3, 2008
Málaga, Spain
After reading the thread about the SSD guitar competition, some people said that the DI tracks where terrible. So, I've downloaded the DI's to check how it sounded and I have to say that for my inexperienced ears, it sounded OK. I mean, there's not audible clipping, the performance seems to be OK, there's no strange sounds...

My question is, how can we difference a top notch DI from a crappy one?

Would be great if someone could post some DI's just to ear the differences.

Cheers :kickass:

One thing I noticed about using my POD's DI is that when I went to use 8505 as the amp sim (with impulses boosted with Tube Screamers Secret) it sounded really weak, then I download Marcus' Holy Diver DI files to confirm that the POD's DI was pretty bog standard and my belief was confirmed. Using Marcus' DI track I was able to actually get a good strong sound using 8505.
But it still seems to sound good via POD Farm reamping though. I imagine this is because POD Farm might be designed in mind to compensate for the fairly weak DI abilities of the POD.

After reading the thread about the SSD guitar competition, some people said that the DI tracks where terrible. So, I've downloaded the DI's to check how it sounded and I have to say that for my inexperienced ears, it sounded OK. I mean, there's not audible clipping, the performance seems to be OK, there's no strange sounds...

My question is, how can we difference a top notch DI from a crappy one?

Would be great if someone could post some DI's just to ear the differences.

Cheers :kickass:

I think the ones in this competition sound shitty because of the guitar wood/setup/pickups/playing...

now, i've a presonus firebox interface and i usually record di guitars connecting my guitar directly to one presonus preamp (i think it's better method than record di's with dry option in pod).i'll notice big difference recording my di's with one of those di boxes???
and if answer is yes, what method?di box output to my presonus? (line in,preamp?)
thanks,i never used a di box.

now, i've a presonus firebox interface and i usually record di guitars connecting my guitar directly to one presonus preamp (i think it's better method than record di's with dry option in pod).i'll notice big difference recording my di's with one of those di boxes???
and if answer is yes, what method?di box output to my presonus? (line in,preamp?)
sorry to revive but I have the same question as I own the same interface and I am considering getting a DI box

guitar ----) di box(balanced out)------ mic in of your interface.

the thing whit the di box is that the ouput signal is balanced. so you have double of level and less noise.