How to make clear the sound of china in the OH

lordtech

Jun 15, 2008
Brunei
i dunno how to explain the above problems but i think some of u get wat i mean. I can give u example where the sound of china is not that very clear, have a listen to the song from this band, Karizma, in my myspace playlist. At 1:53, this is the time wher the china cymbal got hit (Panned Left). Should i add another mic below it? or meby not necessary?

however,what do u guys usually do to make the cymbals to come out clear in a mix?

i have the new album from Becoming The Archetype, the mixes sounds great to me. Especially the sound of cymbals.

:err:

I'm sometimes close-micing the china seperately from below (loving a ribbonmic for that)
I have the impression ribbons are a too dark for cymbals, or maybe it depends on the mic and even the mic pre impedance?

I've tried recording the ride with a cheap Superlux condensor underneath in addition to the Oktava Mk012 OHs and I got a nice full and crisp sound. I would expect an extra mic for the china to help but it's very important if the China itself is good. You won't get a beat up piece of metal to sound nice.

Might be the case in general, but I'd almost prefer a darker mic if I were to mic my china discretely.

+1, and anyway, from what I've heard, ribbons take eq really well so you could boost back those highs without much trouble

I would most definitely mic the china separately.
Sometimes when I have been handed a mix without a china mic I have just added a sample (or a selection on samples) on top by hand.
Chinas are often used as an important rhythmic element so it is important to be able to hear the thing clearly.

awesome! meby i cud try doing this method later this afternoon. A brutal death metal band will be dropping by to record their song later. it shud be gud.

for me, a different mic is the way to go, specially considering that the china needs some fair amount of mids to to be distiguished from the "other cymbals", otherwise it won't sound much different from your crashes, splashes etc.

I have noticed that when you try to make the china "appear" on the OH's by going lower with the HP filter, the rest of the cymbals will start showing some nasty frequencies.

I close mic the china with whatever I have on my hands, just to capture its mid frequencies ... the "sparkle" of the china will be already on your OH's, so for the close miking you won't need a fancy condenser or something like that.

just my 0.00000002 cents :kickass: