How to make RMS sound constant on a track

Hola amigos!

I've heard some tracks of multitrack songs, and I've realized that most of them have a constant RMS level. For example, in a bass track, I've seen a constant -15 dB RMS level, no matter what string or note is played.

Is there a way to achieve that? I've tried to use lots of compressors and configurations, but I cannot... That's irritating... :erk:

Are you trying limiting too>
I'll often limit stuff to totally kill the dynamics so can I have better control over the element/s I'm working with

I don´t understand your problem... Just compress it pretty hard and then limit the crap out of it. If I do it that way, I don´t get any level changes.

Using L2 or clones for bass:
just put the cell(? forgot the name) at -18db if u don't want it over -18db, adjust threshold till u get a decent level (don't abuse, check the reduction meter)

Orrrrrr use this, in RMS mode of course. Does wonders for me.

compx_toptheader2.jpg

get it here

It says 'Compatible with all applications which support DirectX plugins' .. does that mean it supports all of them ? Or is it exclusive to VST using DirectX ? Please light me up on this

It says 'Compatible with all applications which support DirectX plugins' .. does that mean it supports all of them ? Or is it exclusive to VST using DirectX ? Please light me up on this

The good old DX format plugin...longer discontinued I think ( I remember the arboretum hyperprism suite in that format too)

First of all I don't know why you feel the need to have a constant Rms for it creates no contrast and leaves the musical content lifeless.
But, anyways..
Having a rather constant rms level is part of the playing itself.
You can still automate, compress or limit the sound, but you'll get better results from someone who can actually control himself and plays with consistency and stamina.
Limiting the signal should be absolutely discarded if your soley working on rms levels.
I suggest automating the volume so you get your performance to feel a bit flatter and around the same volume.
(do not automate by looking at the peaks, I suggest using a digital VU meter as you go along each part of the song).
Then, you can compress the automated signal with a slow attack time on your compressor for another couple of dBs and by that time you'll probably be where you wanted to be.

First of all I don't know why you feel the need to have a constant Rms for it creates no contrast and leaves the musical content lifeless.
It does seem like a strange request... but if that's what the op is going after, it wouldn't be to difficult to eq out a couple resonant frequencies first and then sandbag it with a couple compressors in a series (analog of course) long release.