How To Record a Drumkit for metal with only 1 mic for poor newbs

meanmrmustad

Supreme Member
Aug 27, 2009
Oaxaca, Mexico
I did this ages ago with cubase when i only had one mic...now I have four! muahahahahahahah....

anyway point the mic at the kick drum from about a drumstick away at the height in between the top of the kick drum and the bottom of the snare

i duplicate the track 4 times
1 for overheads i process with cubase transient designer(forgot what its called) and removed a bit of sustain then hipassed to hell
1 for kick snare and toms took all the sustain off the Envelope shaper..that thing then tight eq boost with a small Q at the frq where each are more prominent...

then i dont remember what i did i think the other two tracks were just bass freqs with a bit of tube saturation and another but the freqs for the snare and lots of attack from the attack plugin..

oh and i sent it all to some reverb and this is what it sounds like...
Recorded using a chinese cheap dynamic (cost like $7 US) into a fast track usb...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds surprisingly good, works well for this genre, kick gets a bit loud at times though but I guess there's not much you can do about that.

Very creative, hats off! Amazing how you can work with only 1 mic! I'm going to try something similar this week: the first show of my band was filmed by someone with a pretty decent camera. Due to the lack of audience (unfortunately) the audio quality and balance between the instruments is pretty good. So I want to try a similar thing with duplicating tracks and isolating instruments just like you did with the drums.

You have to do like a video tutorial on this man...ITS FUCKING EPIC. I hate programming. I could only imagine what you are doing with 4 mics now
Happy Birthday Jizm