Drum practice, what to improve and how?

Deathmetal616

Mar 1, 2012
Germany
I practiced my drum micing/mixing techniques and did this in the past few hours.
I know in a mix context it would be better to judge but here is what I have:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqfxwy1ie2qnj0s/testechtedrums.mp3

I'm pretty happy with the kick+snare, they turned out pretty well.
The toms are horrid I know, but they are a bitch to tune...
So basically I ask for advice how to rescue the toms without replacing them.
I would also like to have comments on the overheads and overall balancing, stereo image, etc...

I recorded the shells with a cheap audio_technica drum mic set (exc.: snare -> 1x sm57) and the OHs with a pair of RODE NT5s.
Recorded the ride cymbal with another cheap vocal mic.
Hence it's a practice take I didn't edit them at all, so there are little poops and fuck ups all over the place. Excuse that...

Thanks in advance, cheers!

Ok very honestly it sounds a bit too 'raw' and could definitely be tweaked. I think you need to work on it a bit more. I think as a stereo balance it's good you got the live kit feel. I think it's a decent start. I just started tracking drums myself. But I use a triggered kick. I've just posted a topic with the link for my stuff.

Good luck with the recording. I think new skins + proper tuning will make a world of difference.

There's no point in telling you how to improve your drum sound without the context of a full mix. There's no point in tweaking drum sounds without the context of a full mix either. The source sounds are good but it really won't matter until it's all in the mix.

Okay, thank you two! Already helped me. New skins only were given for kick+snare, cymbals are relatively new...
so the tom problem is more on the skin+tuning side I guess.

I want to add that I usually build my mixes around the drums. That means after tracking (or most likely programming) the drums I will do processing and editing directly after that. So when tracking guitars+bass I can make their source sound fit better "into" the drums. That way I have it easier in the mix and often the rest of the band wants to record to a "good" sound rather than to the raw sound. But on the other side it seems logical that it's kinda dump to do so when practising... When I get the time I'll record a full song for drum practice purposes! Or maybe I'll end this song idea right here...

Thanks again.

I want to add that I usually build my mixes around the drums. That means after tracking (or most likely programming) the drums I will do processing and editing directly after that. So when tracking guitars+bass I can make their source sound fit better "into" the drums.

Don't do that unless you are making a CD for a drummer (like Simon Phillips) where the rest of the instruments don't count.

There's nothing wrong with making a rough mix for playback purposes but building everything around the drums will usually make for a weird mix that only some drummers will enjoy ...