Some mixing practice for you - Breaking Benjamin "Diary of Jane"

Daybreak

Jan 8, 2013
Been wanting for some time to record something for you guys to practice mixing on, and then I remembered I did an instrumental cover on "Diary of Jane" a while back - So I dug up the Pro Tools-session and exported the raw files. Hope you will have fun with it, haha.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3KPvIN6V6Z7Yld2Q3NNZW9tMk0/view?usp=sharing

The RAR includes:

1x Rythm Guitar L&R
2x Lead Guitar L&R
1x Solo Guitar L&R
1x Clean Guitar L&R
1x Bass MIDI
1x Bass Zombass 3 Render
1x Drum Midi (Mapped after Steven Slate 4)
1x Reference Track

Recorded at 48KHz, 24 bit with my Schecter Damien 7.

Here is my mix:

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
shine: Yes, those are EMG HZ. <:
marios.blythe: Hearing this with vocals would be a delight, go for it!

midi file is out of sync!! wtf?? i cant record vocals :mad:

Wat. It works perfectly fine for me here.
Would you specifiy the problem? Like, what MIDI track is out of sync, the drums or bass? Have you set the tempo to 84? Are you sure your session is in 44.1 KHz/24 bit?

Sorry if I somehow screwed up, haha. ):

Wat. It works perfectly fine for me here.
Would you specifiy the problem? Like, what MIDI track is out of sync, the drums or bass? Have you set the tempo to 84? Are you sure your session is in 44.1 KHz/24 bit?

Sorry if I somehow screwed up, haha. ):

it was my false i has set my daw to 44.1 indeed 48 that your files is ;)
i also record vocals at 48khz! it will be up in 10 minutes! just make sure people that you have time and patience on autotune or melodyne bcause i RAPE the vocals..i just like the song :):heh::heh::heh:

here you are:
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/8d7mwunvqdfg22m/jane vocals.rar

Amazing man! Thanks a lot!

Would mind sharing some details on how you achieved this epic intro?? What was used for drums as far as fxs or software? am i hearing a piano instead of the guitar? It sounds huge! That's the kind of things i've been wanting to do for years!

Cheers :headbang:

ibzrgtoffire: Thanks man! The intro is nothing special really - It's a piano with a really huge reverb on it playing the melody the guitar plays, haha. Then there's the "boomer", the bassdrop wich is just a really subbe bassdrum. Then some reverse cymbals, also with just really huge reverbs on them, and I also downloaded some "creepy" sound effects from freesound.org, sampled them, then played around with some pitch automations and - Once again - Really, really huge reverb. As for the intro drums, it's actually just Slate drums, totally unprocessed, with an automated lowpass slowly going up!

Precursor23: I enjoyed listening to it, not bad! Some crits though; You should probably lower your kick some. Snare sounds a tad too dry, also. Try adding some more delay and reverb to the solo guitar too, that would really spice it up! But not bad at all! : D

Thanks for another mixing practice, here is my mix:

Last edited by a moderator: