How to restore windows xp to factory settings?

Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Be Creative, Get Laid
Apr 7, 2009
Jersey
My grandfather gave me his old compaq pc a few years back and its just full of garbage so i want to restore it back to the original settings (wipe the fucker completely clean)..i have the stuff that i want to save already backed up to an external but i dont have any of the original install or recovery disks that came with it...is there a way i can restore it without the disks? ive tried F8,F10, and F11 all at the startup but still no progress. I also tried finding a recovery partition or something on the machine but was unsuccessful there too. How do i do it?

I think you might be shit outta luck on this if you don't have the install discs. Unless there is some kind of recovery program pre-installed that has a backup file from factory

Well if it had system restore on you could restore it to an earlier time, which I wouldn't recommend anyway(sounds like you checked for this and wasn't on).

A full format/reinstall would be the way to go. Do you at least have the product key on the PC for windows? Some times they stick it to it on a sticker, somewhere on the tower. In that case, just download XP or use another copy you have, using the key that came with the PC.

I looked into the restore before i posted and it only lets me go back to november of 2009 (which is a waste)...I googled for a little bit and it said that in my programs menu there should be something called "system recovery" but its no where to be found. as far as the product key goes, im really not sure.. i just disconnected the tower and i found a sticker on the back and one on the bottom...the one on that back reads "2H1CKMDBK05F" which looks more like a serial to me...the one on the bottom of the tower is "230247-001" and then under that it says "CT: L4A340A6MK1KT"...im pretty much clueless at this point

Nah it would be a Windows XP sticker. The other option would be to buy Windows again.

There is something else you can do, and I think you would be in your legal rights to do it, but I think you can figure that one out on your own.

If the computer shipped with windows xp it has to have a serial sticker, by law. It will be a 25 digit code in groups of 5. For instance "N3B8F-2H9H2-8Y3RT-2RDF3-P93M8" or something of the sort.

If you find that sticker just download a Windows XP OEM cd (most like it's XP home) and reinstall using your serial. It's completely legal.

It just hit me...can i find the serial within the computer...meaning turn it on and look for some sort of info panel. i know with mac if you click the apple it gives you all the info can i do something like that with windows too?

It just hit me...can i find the serial within the computer...meaning turn it on and look for some sort of info panel. i know with mac if you click the apple it gives you all the info can i do something like that with windows too?

Windows 'codes' it when you enter it in... I know there was a program that could grab it, but I haven't messed around with stuff like that in a long time.

OK i just powered the pc back up...i clicked system properties and went to "general" and found this number - 55277-oem-0011903-00101...would that be it? its not in the 5 digit groups like you said damian but it looks like it could be the one i need?