Windows on a mac.

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
This might have been better in the equipment section but, eh fuck it.

How does this work? Do I need to install leopard and partition the drive when I do?

Here is the scenario.

My dad hand builds Kayaks. He has some software he needs to run for designs but it only runs on windows. I say "hey no problem your mac will run it" because it's an intel.

I'm looking at XP professional because I found an unopened box copy on ebay for 35 bucks.

Anyhow, he forgot his admin password so I just re installed everything (needed it anyhow). But at this point I was thinking I probably need to re re install leopard and partition the drive on the way in right?

Anyone running windows and OSX on an intel mac with one system hard drive?

Hit me up if you got the solution! :headbang:

As I was poking around my Dad's computer, I definitely remember seeing something like "set up boot camp" (I think it was under Apps/utilities)

No, you don't need to reinstall. Just use the Boot Camp Assistant. I do recommend that you read through the tutorial first, you can find it from Apple's site.

It's pretty damn easy to do really. Thing is, I realized that it's been about a year since I last booted to Windows...

Yeah, use Boot Camp Assistant. It creates a partition that's size of your choosing (20GB minimum), installs Windows, and adds a bunch of drivers and stuff that makes the windows work with your Mac hardware as well as possible.

I've done it once, but I never needed it so I took my 20GB back and deleted the partition.

You can do it a few ways.

Parallels - costs $, runs natively in Mac OS, no restart required

Boot Camp - as mentioned, comes with OS X, runs on a separate partition and requires restart to access Windows, find it in Applications>Utilities>Boot Camp Assistant

With either you can disable the network within Windows. It's just like actual Win XP, anything you can do in regular Windows you can do in Boot Camp

That's what it's good for, to open files that you can't open in Windows if you need to, but you can forget about using any DAWs or playing any games in Parallels.

Defo go for boot camp, that way if anything goes wrong you can delete the partition and start again

Applications -> Utitilies -> Boot camp asistant

Wouldnt harm to boot to your install disk and run a disk utility check frst though...

kinda off, but anyone knows any practical differences between Vmware and parallels?

boot camp is really easy to set up. I'm running xp on my mac all the time. For recording the setup can be quite volatile but if its just for your dads software then it should be easily done and it'll be exactly like a PC when youre done. Make sure you have a usb mouse after you've iknstalled xp because it can be a bit of a hassle as wireless devices are almost impossible to setup i.e if you have a mouse. When xp is installed. For some reason you lose the driver after windows update or at least i did