One thing I can't really do on a mac

i DO care about people continuing to pop in here and kick off these kinds of arguments by saying something so assisine as he said about "people use macs because they are marketing victims or whatever.." and i will face that nonsense attitude down every time, and i think there are many who do lke reading my rebuttals to such crap.

and anyway i've mixed half of the new Aborted EP for release on Century Media next year while this little debate has gone down, so i think i'm doing quite enough "else". if you're not interested, you go do something else. it's really very simple... much more simple than going into every thread you're not interested in and telling the participants what they should talk about if you don't like it.

i do agree though Joe, and would love to just end the thread on a "nice" note, but i can't do anything other than stand my ground on this subject, and will conintue to do so until my experience aligns with his... been well over a decade so far and my experience hasn't changed... so... yeah.

James: any experience working/using Pro-Tools on an iMac? A Mac Pro is outta my budget for now.
my little brother is doing it, with the mbox2 Pro interface... seems to be working fine for him... just be sure to use an external drive for your sessions, preferably at lesat 7200 rpm and Firewire, not USB 2.0.... FW is far more stable, less dropouts, etc.. i recommend drives specifically designed for the purpose, with fans. those from Glyph and OWC are my top picks.

i do agree though Joe, and would love to just end the thread on a "nice" note, but i can't do anything other than stand my ground on this subject, and will conintue to do so until my experience aligns with his... been well over a decade so far and my experience hasn't changed... so... yeah.

Yeah, that's fine, I'm just frustrated because it's no good for the community to have "discussions" like this. I'm just saying that in an effort to remain civil both parties should step down and leave this topic be, in the form of shut the fuck up :lol:

It just dissapoints me that shit like this thread happens when instead the question should have been phrased much more to the point and the answer would be clear and helpful, and none of this would have happened.

Joe

James Murphy said:
first of all, i'm no one's "boy".. second Jeff was right, period; i made a very focused slam against highly biased PC users like YOU... ones that love to talk about how those that use macs are all "fanbois" and are somehow victims of marketing, so they don't know nearly as much as you super-repairman types. conversely, before you popped in i had been saying that it didn't matter and was an apples and oranges argument essentially.

I'm not highly biased. I'm highly informed. There is a difference. You read way too deep into what people say. I never said anyone was a victim of marketing. I said they were overpriced. When you pay twice as much for the same parts well.. that makes it overpriced. There aren't special parts in there. The machines themselves are not in any way superior. This is strictly an issue of preference. Thanks for the further condescending remarks. Super-repairman haha.

James Murphy said:
no, you made an ass of YOURself buddy.. period... and multiple people here caught it... you were trolling... by your own admission you were looking for some boredom relief, and so you presented yourself as a computer repair guru that knows what everyone's experiences really are, and you also insinuated knowledge of why mac users use the platform to start with, a spurious claim if there ever was one. that was the impression you made, and the one that several other posters took away from it, most of whom i normally never talk to and am certainly not the "boy" of.

At best you can get me for being arrogant. You started off in this thread being a pompous ass, being rude to someone for no damn reason. I won't say this wasn't some boredom relief but I only posted in here because you were being a prick. I can start shit anywhere if I'm just trying to get some entertainment. I chose you because you clearly needed knocked down a peg or two.

James Murphy said:
over and over again you made your little condescending "points"... most of them having something to do with "boys / bois"... (lol, sorry, cheap shot )... and went on about how you are in a better position to know this that or the other because of your job.... completely ignoring the fact that the person you're laying this shit on has been using both Macs and PCs for about 15 years, and has quite a different experience. no, i must be just the luckiest guy ever, by your lights. never-mind that i personally numerous other working engineers that use macs as well whose experiences align with my own, and not with what you insist is true... yeah, all those years of combined experience mean nothing compared to your repair shop stint... a place where an unquantified demographic bring their broken/malfunctioning computers... surprise, surprise.

"Bois" isn't a cheap shot at me as I posted it for your benefit so I don't get your first comment, but anyway on we go. I am in a better position to know. I wouldn't argue with my mechanic about cars just because I've been driving them for years. He actually fixes them.. lots of them. Of course he'll know better than me. I never implied you were the luckiest person ever for not having a dead mac. I wasn't implying that Macs die like crazy either. There you go diving deep again. My whole point was they do die just as much as any PC but they are a lot more of a bitch to get repaired and pay for than your typical PC. This is true. This is where actually working in this field makes what I have to say carry a lot more weight than what you have to say. How the hell would you know shit about this process? By your own admission you've never even had a problem with one of yours. That alone means you have absolutely nothing worthwhile you can add to the topic of the bs associated with them breaking down. That sure doesn't keep you from running your mouth though does it?

James Murphy said:
oh, and what do i do to keep my motherboard & drives from dying that the average consumer user doesn't? i don't know that i do any one particular thing to that end, but i certainly make sure i don't slam the fan vent ports against a wall, i keep the computer in a well ventilated, cool room, out of the path of sunlight, i don't smoke or place beverages any where near it, and i open it up and clean any dust out once in a while, while properly grounded to avoid static charges... for drives and such i run disk utilities and make sure i handle them properly etc... your average consumer user does none of the above, though i daresay most everyone on this forum does... but hey, do go ahead and tell me all your smart-pants reasons why none of that works so i can laugh at you, based on MY experience. and yes, some components will eventually die anyway, especially drives... which i s why a buy the extended warranties and keep double redundant back-ups, two more things your average consumer does not do. and why the hell would you ask such an easily, and predictably, answerable question in such a smarmy way? it begs a return question... are you thick?, or do you just think i am?

Yes there are people that don't take care of their stuff but I wouldn't say the majority aligns with what you're trying to say. The average consumer doesn't just take a shit in their computer. ;) I'm not going to tell you none of what you said above works as you mentioned basic care instructions for any computer... Good for you. You read the getting started pamphlet from Best Buy. However, I can promise you that if your motherboard/hd/ram/any part is going to die there isn't a damn thing you are going to be able to do to stop it. All you can do is make sure you don't do anything overly stupid that kills it. Per the rest of this thread I'm sure anything I say is lost on you since you'd rather argue with me than let any of this soak in.

James Murphy said:
bottom line, you popped up in here made a specious comment about mac-users being marketing victims and fanboys, completely discounting an entire generation of professionals in many fields that use macs because they were the best tool for the job; from beating Windows PCs to the punch in functionality in certain fields (particularly media related), usually by years, via specialized software packages and related hardware integrations, to maintaining that gap via greater stability of the OS and reliability of hardware (that may not be a fact of your life in the repair shop, but it is of mine and many like me that have been using computers in the trade for years... so tough luck on that one... turns out it's a very debatable point after all), and when i called you on it you tried to flip it , but you got called out for trying to do that too... so then you just insinuate that person is "in cahoots" with me somehow... you are chasing your tail on the weak side of a lame argument. spin and spit your repair-shop rhetoric and anti-"cult of mac" counter-dogma all you want. to no avail.
You were being a dick. I returned the favor.. Justify it anyway you see fit. I didn't discount anyone. I said macs are overpriced and called YOU a fanboi. I fail to see how you getting called out results in the dismissal of an entire generation. Perhaps you're a little too far up your own ass there. Try not to flatter yourself so much in the future. Macs were the first platform to really cater to the media community. This is completely true but that was never the issue here in this thread so try to stay on topic. I said it's strictly a preference thing. You are the only one in this conversation that is obviously aggressively biased and not happy that someone doesn't agree with your stance. There really is nothing that you called me out on. I make sure I know what I'm talking about before engaging in these types of discussions. There was no flipping. Again I haven't said a word that wasn't true and honestly my personal opinions have been kept to a minimum. The only opinion I even expressed was that they were overpriced. Paying more for the same parts = overpriced to me. If you disagree then I guess we'll just have to disagree with each other.

James Murphy said:
no, enough with your "i'm a computer fixerer-upperer" know-it-all bullshit dude... yeah, i crack wise and it can come off harsh to people like you that don't know me sometimes... but you win the prize for "Condescending Douchebag of the Thread". quit while you're ahead.

Yeah enough with my actual information. You're hopeless.

my little brother is doing it, with the mbox2 Pro interface... seems to be working fine for him... just be sure to use an external drive for your sessions, preferably at lesat 7200 rpm and Firewire, not USB 2.0.... FW is far more stable, less dropouts, etc.. i recommend drives specicially desitned for the purpose, with fans. those from Glyph and OWC are my top picks.

Cheers for the advice James. I must double check the iMac specs, I think it only has one FireWire port which would mean that I'd have to use USB For my audio-interfaces as I wouldn't like to daisychain FireWire devices!

Why not, they work perfectly fine daisy-chained... Been running an interface (Glyph drive into that) into my FW port on the front of my G5 for ages with zero problems. Don't be silly. :lol:

first of all mesa.. no one appointed you "James Police". second, how does being a conceited dick counter someone being a regular dick? third, flipping someone's arguments back to them does not constitute a counter-argument. fourth, i've been using computers for several years before there was a "best buy" thanks. fifth, if my mechanic tells me my car's a pos that will surely break down after i simply tell him the make and model, but i happen to have been driving it for over a decade with no problems, i'm simply not apt to believe him regardless of what "position" he's in to think he knows better than me... no, i'm just going to rock with my experience. sixth, and finally, everyone here more than a minute knows me and the largest majority of them appreciate my style, and even rely on me for it... you and a few newbies don't. oh well... find a new forum to post in, because it'll serve you nothing to attempt to "knock" me "down a peg", as you characterized it... i'll still be sitting on the same peg after your sad attempt... and it'll still be higher than your peg... and i'll poop on your head. how's that for being a prick, eh? go fix some computers.

th_flyingkiss.gif

Cheers for the advice James. I must double check the iMac specs, I think it only has one FireWire port which would mean that I'd have to use USB For my audio-interfaces as I wouldn't like to daisychain FireWire devices!
yeah, you'll be fine daisy chaining a few firewire devices.

Why not, they work perfectly fine daisy-chained... Been running an interface (Glyph drive into that) into my FW port on the front of my G5 for ages with zero problems. Don't be silly. :lol:

does your glyph drive make a funky sound when it starts up?

mine reminds me of a drive skip, but much louder

but the drive seems to function normal

Nice one, that's excellent to know. Offhand, do you know if the iMac supports a secondary display? Can Pro-Tools utilise the 8GB of RAM I'll have installed? For example, I know that on Windows 32bit, the limit's 4GB. Thanks for your advice in advance!

Seriously dude... if you're running Superior 2.0, BFD2, Slate, or whatever the fuck... don't daisychain. You're just fucking your bandwidth before you've even started!!

As I remember though; you said you load it all into RAM. If you do indeed do that.. you'll be fine. But don't try disk-streaming if you want a hope in hell of good performance, with that setup.

joeymusicguy said:
does your glyph drive make a funky sound when it starts up?

mine reminds me of a drive skip, but much louder

but the drive seems to function normal

Nah, not had that with mine. It is a GT050 series, btw. It's about 5 years old now too, actually reminds me I need to look into a new one, maybe a solid-state drive...

Advice fail.

How so? Has worked for me for ages...

I run my drum libraries, etc. off of a 2nd internal drive. I didn't read anything about him having questions about that, otherwise I would have mentioned that in my post as well. I'm not sure how the advice I gave him was wrong. You really are a piece of shit, you know that?