One thing I can't really do on a mac

I run my drum libraries, etc. off of a 2nd internal drive. I didn't read anything about him having questions about that, otherwise I would have mentioned that in my post as well. I'm not sure how the advice I gave him was wrong. You really are a piece of shit, you know that?

I'm a piece of shit because I said you made a fail? Don't be a dweeb. :lol:

a 2nd internal drive? Did you just make a typing fail... because before you said you were daisy-chaining with your interface? Are you smoking crack? Do you touch children, and has the experience fried your brain?

Fuck yourself.

-----------------

Just in case anyone was NOT aware; if you daisychain firewire devices, you're splitting the bandwidth of the firewire controller. If you're doing heavy audio work, you'll get popping, clicking, skipping, and general unpleasantness. This is because the workload you're putting on the controller is large, and it cannot keep up because its having to manage two devices. I've seen this with PC's, G5's, and even Mac Pro's. Think of it as bottlenecking.

You'll also experience only *some* of this if you run your samples from your system drive.

As I said before; this isn't an issue if you load everything into RAM.

WOW. Talk about fail, you are a fucking idiot dude. I have honestly never really disliked or hated someone that I have had the displeasure of interacting with online, but you take the fucking cake and then some Amberience.

Yes, my AUDIO DRIVE is the GLYPH. Which I do run into my 2626, then the 2626 into the front of my G5. I have a 2nd internal drive that I run samples, drum libraries, etc. off of. Also, who ever fucking contested that the bandwidth gets reduced? Nobody. Why are you rambling on about it over and over? Who gives a shit anyway? Two people already fucking answered the guy's question RIGHT before you came in. Fuck me, who am I? But even James Murphy fucking agreed with the advice I gave.

Don't be a gaylord mate; the bandwidth point is completely the entire discussion here. He's asking is it a good idea to daisy-chain a drive with an interface. I say ... NO. Because of bandwidth issues. You, nor James, actually said what specifically you use the drive for - if you use it for project archival, then of course it will be fine. But I prefaced what I said with: if you're running Superior 2.0, BFD2, Slate, or whatever the fuck.

Now go take a fucking chill-pill, coz you need to learn how to take a light poke without going all fucking CHAOZZZZZZ on people.

Can Pro-Tools utilise the 8GB of RAM I'll have installed? For example, I know that on Windows 32bit, the limit's 4GB. Thanks for your advice in advance!

Also dude; on Windows XP 32bit, the limit is 2GB (or 3GB with the boot.ini switch). I'm not sure about Windows 7; need to look into that.

On OSX, the limit is 4GB per application layer.

Drew, Firewire can handle hundreds of megabytes per second, and it's entirely conceivable that using two devices with sufficiently small bandwidth requirements could work - even if you're really not into that whole 'empirical evidence just said otherwise' thing, it does take a little work to completely saturate a Firewire connection.

Consider taking your own advice regarding the 'chill pill', being a little less vague than 'advice fail' if you're not going to specify something that isn't immediately obvious, and shutting up until you get a better idea of how to communicate intelligently, since you're not helping anyone with 'advice' like that... or even giving off a good impression, and you can do a whole lot better. Even if you were right and daisychaining would end the world, guaranteed, no questions asked, the brief 'advice fail', with no qualifications or explanation, is about as useless as you're going to get without federal government assistance.

Jeff

Drew, Firewire can handle hundreds of megabytes per second, and it's entirely conceivable that using two devices with sufficiently small bandwidth requirements could work - even if you're really not into that whole 'empirical evidence just said otherwise' thing, it does take a little work to completely saturate a Firewire connection.

Consider taking your own advice regarding the 'chill pill', being a little less vague than 'advice fail' if you're not going to specify something that isn't immediately obvious, and shutting up until you get a better idea of how to communicate intelligently, since you're not helping anyone with 'advice' like that... or even giving off a good impression, and you can do a whole lot better. Even if you were right and daisychaining would end the world, guaranteed, no questions asked, the brief 'advice fail', with no qualifications or explanation, is about as useless as you're going to get without federal government assistance.

Jeff

"Advice fail" was clearly a joke Jeff; most people around here would not have reacted the way 006 did. Granted it wasn't helpful at all.

As for firewire; it can easily get overwhelmed. Really depends on several things; what chipset the controller uses, what chipset the devices use, and the ordering of said devices. These are just a few of the things that can make a difference.

The way I see it though; going into the details like this is more useful than just saying "yeah it works" - DigitalDeath is making a purchase, spending a lot of money, and he needs all the facts and advice he can get.

The older iMacs came with more than 1 firewire port; don't know why they've chosen to cripple their lower-end machines like this.

It wasn't clear, to be blunt.

The point is that daisy-chaining may not necessarily lead to overload - hell, the big names put several plugs on their devices to allow (and give detailed instructions for) daisy-chaining, it's not hard to figure out just how much bandwidth you're taking, and Mike has been doing this stuff professionally for more than long enough to find the kinds of problems that you claimed would pop up.

I agree that going into the details is going to be more useful... and that's exactly what I think should be done. That's exactly what the others just got into. However, since the problems you're claiming are not that easy to get to, and multiple people just confirmed that the process works on systems similar to the one DigitalDeath will be making, what you're saying amounts more to doomsday rambling on a street corner than helping a potential buyer.

Jeff

Guys, chill! I really appreciate the advice but there's no need for forum members to insult eachother.
The iMac only allows for one internal drive, so my audio drive will be a FireWire drive. Like 006, I'll be daisychaining this with a 2626. Whatever VSTi plugins I'll be using, I'll prob install these on the internal system drive. This should work okay, yeah?

It wasn't clear, to be blunt.

The point is that daisy-chaining may not necessarily lead to overload - hell, the big names put several plugs on their devices to allow (and give detailed instructions for) daisy-chaining, it's not hard to figure out just how much bandwidth you're taking, and Mike has been doing this stuff professionally for more than long enough to find the kinds of problems that you claimed would pop up.

I agree that going into the details is going to be more useful... and that's exactly what I think should be done. That's exactly what the others just got into. However, since the problems you're claiming are not that easy to get to, and multiple people just confirmed that the process works on systems similar to the one DigitalDeath will be making, what you're saying amounts more to doomsday rambling on a street corner than helping a potential buyer.

Jeff

Well sorry Jeff, but I come across this kind of thing all the time with tech support inquiries. True enough that it wont necessarily lead to overloads.. but I tend to err on the side of caution with this stuff.

It is frustrating doing support sometimes though, because people buy the cheapest drives, and then expect them to perform amazingly. They buy some piece of shit from Emu or Roland and expect it to be the best soundcard ever.... and run it all with a AMD 2400XP :zombie:

+1 on the Glyph recommendation too.

Anyway; kind of a moot point. DigDeath said he streams his shit all from RAM.

I tend to prefer to diskstream, as it allows me to have lots of velocity layers and lots of kicks - tend to do a lot of layering within BFD2. But I can only do this with Western Digital Caviar Blacks - I used to have a dedicated Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm drive (for BFD2 and Superior content) and I got sound dropping out and cymbals cutting off all the time.

Swapped over to Western Digital, and no problems.

Anyway; sorry for being a dick. Thought I was funny, but I'm not. Realise that now. :puke:

Guys, chill! I really appreciate the advice but there's no need for forum members to insult eachother.
The iMac only allows for one internal drive, so my audio drive will be a FireWire drive. Like 006, I'll be daisychaining this with a 2626. Whatever VSTi plugins I'll be using, I'll prob install these on the internal system drive. This should work okay, yeah?

Try comparing running the data from your internal, and running it from your external - use whichever one runs better.

Try and get the biggest and phattest internal drive though; as you're no doubt going to want to install big sample libraries!!