How To Shred Like Gus G.

AvivX

New Metal Member
Jun 1, 2011
Hey everyone
Lately i started shredding few hours a day.
I want to shred like Gus G
I got really good sound with alot of gain
My technique is good and fast and clean
My guitar is in D standart tune
And i can shred.. (slow and fast)
it sounds ok but it doesnt sound good like Gus
His note choosing is different than mine
and i want to learn his note choosing
when i play some licks of him it sounds good, but its not really improvising.
So, can you help me learn Gus's note choosing?
any tips? scales? shapes? licks? secrets? song that i should listen to? solos that will help me?

Hey everyone
Lately i started shredding few hours a day.
I want to shred like Gus G
I got really good sound with alot of gain
My technique is good and fast and clean
My guitar is in D standart tune
And i can shred.. (slow and fast)
it sounds ok but it doesnt sound good like Gus
His note choosing is different than mine
and i want to learn his note choosing
when i play some licks of him it sounds good, but its not really improvising.
So, can you help me learn Gus's note choosing?
any tips? scales? shapes? licks? secrets? song that i should listen to? solos that will help me?

He seems to like Phrygian Major

If you can play his licks, you should be able to visualize the shapes and patterns on the neck. If you have a good ear, you should be able to judge the difference in tone intervals to know which notes will fit into the particular sequence.

Maybe this helps: Bau-Bau-Bidauuuuuuuuu.... dudel-didel-dudel-didel-dudel-didel-duuuuu...... waaauu-de-di-dedeldelwoifjwifjwiehweuiwfhwifjwijfiejfijijaaaaaiiiiiiiiii!

... Just kidding. I don't know how much you searched, here are my tipps:
- Check Gus's Guitar Influences, he states them in EVERY interview. maybe choose 5 songs of them and take the solos apart!
- Gus has an instrumental CD... don't remember the name, it's probably from before he formed Firewind?? anyway it's filled with awesome licks!
- do it natural man... Set your fingers free and feel it. think outside of the box, or you'll never grow bigger

Maybe this helps: Bau-Bau-Bidauuuuuuuuu.... dudel-didel-dudel-didel-dudel-didel-duuuuu...... waaauu-de-di-dedeldelwoifjwifjwiehweuiwfhwifjwijfiejfijijaaaaaiiiiiiiiii!

... Just kidding. I don't know how much you searched, here are my tipps:
- Check Gus's Guitar Influences, he states them in EVERY interview. maybe choose 5 songs of them and take the solos apart!
- Gus has an instrumental CD... don't remember the name, it's probably from before he formed Firewind?? anyway it's filled with awesome licks!
- do it natural man... Set your fingers free and feel it. think outside of the box, or you'll never grow bigger

I totally agree with your last sentence Lt.. Here is the instrumental you were talking about..

http://www.diginetmusic.com/gusdgm.htm

I'd say listen/learn/play to what G did, so lots of 'Classic Rock' as it were now... but depends if your into it, wouldn't force it... again play what you feel, everyone sounds diffrent in the end by the slightest diffrences in how you find it comfortable to play.

still sabbath and all that fluff would lead u along the right lines.... peace.

my advise.. dont try to emulate gus g don't try to emulate anyone.. you can learn how to play learn the solos... but you'll never be able to play EXACTLY like gus g or anyone else... now.. if you want to learn how to shred the way gus g does it.. first of all try to learn his solos from firewind. 2. gus g uses a lot of minor scales.. 3.buy his instructional dvd