Gus G. content

Ball&Chain

New Metal Member
Sep 7, 2010
Im kind of hoping this is a good forum for these kinds of questions. Im not sure how many guitar players post here that are players in addition to being fans of the band, but here goes.

I have to say that in the last 2 years, ive become a big fan of Firewind as well as Gus G. himself and would certainly list him as an influence if in the unlikely event I was asked which is sort of awkward I guess considering I’m a bit older than Gus, but it is what it is. Ive found myself looking more at his technique than I have any guitar player to this point. I cant say im trying to copy his style or play like him as I cant and it not even close, but there are fine points about his technique that I think are very good and looking at those finer details has helped me out greatly since I started taking notice.

I guess this leads me to a few unrelated questions.

#1 has anybody seen posted any interviews that talks about how Gus gets his guitars set up? I think I read an article from around the forged by fire days that says he uses a hybrid string guage set from 10-52. Is that still the case now or has that changed? Any articles about his action setup? Is it set high, low? Any specifics given?

#2 Im not typically and instrumental guy, but I find myself captivated by the instrumentals on the albums. Its pretty obvious that Gus can burn with the best of them, but I think his magic happens when he hits the melodic passages like the last half of fire and the fury and also in feast of savages. Before the storm is the one ive been looking at most intently, which leads me to my last question. On before the storm at around the 2:17 mark, Gus takes off into the last fast passage. Ive seen tabs on this that show it as being tapped and I can play it myself by tapping, but it sounds an awful lot to me like its all picked unless hes just getting a really good pluck on his taps and pull offs. Anyone know for sure how its played and or have tabs that they know are 100% correct?

Here is a link to the song on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: