How to trigger hi-hats & cymbals?

Dave1978

Nov 23, 2007
Germany
Hi there,

replacing bassdrum, snare and toms is easy...but how would you replace cymbals?

I'm using EzDrummer, but I have also Steven Slate Drums LE. I don't like the cymbals of EzDrummer and the hi-hats of Steven Slate Drums.

I also bought myself Drumagog lately, but I don't understand how to use it on cymbals, because I have problems with controlling the dynamics and so on.

Would be nice if someone could explain that to me.

Greetz
Dave

Dunno, maybe compress the living shit out of the cymbals but with a slow attack so the initial hit of the cymbal gets through, and the drumagog it.

But somehow i don't think it'll work... time to program some notes :ill:

Create a separate track for cymbals, then tell drumagog to trigger by MIDI input. Then just program your cymbal hits in there. That's about the only easy way I can think to do it.

You could try sticking piezo transducers to cymbal stands and recording that to use as cymbal trigger tracks. Never tried, may work with some gating.

But with already recorded tracks you can try KTDrum trigger plug-in. It has built in filters.

Good luck.

I've got a similar question:

We plan on buying trigger-elements for our drumkit, so that we can use it with the new alesis usb-trigger-module.
What should we get for cymbals and hihat? Can you get special triggers for that or do we need to buy these plastic-cymbals?!?

never tried it without using electronic pads for the cymbals to record the midi .i imagine it would be a pain in the ass to get it right,with how hard and how the cymbals resonate to get a natural feel...

Forget real drums, if you don't want to record real drum kits - learn to program or buy an e-kit.

Triggers are only really used on drums because they're easy enough to work with, but cymbals are complex things. Yeah, there are ways to replace cymbals - but it won't be worth the effort.
Just program them, or get an e-kit.

As for triggering another sample pack from DKFH (or similar) .. EQ high / low pass till you get the cymbal you want to replace coming through harshly.. and gate it. Then you can use that as a trigger..

But,.. Good luck to both you guys.

I also bought myself Drumagog lately, but I don't understand how to use it on cymbals, because I have problems with controlling the dynamics and so on.

Would be nice if someone could explain that to me.

Greetz
Dave

It can be some confusing when dealing with dynamics so e.g. I´d put my HH I don´t like midi (there are plugins audio to midi) and then assign it some click/short/dry sound instead of HH so the replacement is easier.