Hi-Hats EQ?

schust

Oct 24, 2007
soundcloud.com
after following the 'hi-hats too loud in the OHs' thread for the last few days, i thought it would be nice to finally answer a question i've had for awhile.

i really have a hard time mixing my hats (from my OHs) so they sit well in the drum mix - and mix as a whole.

generally speaking - how do most people EQ hats when they are coming from the OHs? i'm specifically interested in hearing about the upper frequencies.

i know most the meat/clang is down around 300hz - but what about the upper freq's? which ones are generally regarded as taboo and should really be cut/rolled off to avoid 'ear strain'? is there a good balance, EQ-wise, when both the hat and cymbals are solely coming from the OHs?

thanks in advance.

I usually roll off up to around 200ish, make a medium dip around 500hz for about 6db or so, then i take a high shelf at 3k and bring it down a few db. I do this to both hi hats and overheads. It makes it so i can have the cymbals alittle louder without being harsh.

generally just eq them to add weight and a touch of detail to the oh . Usually ride them a lot too ! And really savagely, so only bring em in at all when the hats are playing g

hats.jpg

cool, thanks.

that's pretty close to what i've been doing. i think the majority of my problem lies in the fact that a) the hats are TOO F***ING BRIGHT and b) were played too loud.

this is another one of those questions where it totally depends on what the track sounds like, especially in the mix...if you have good hats that are properly mic'ed in a good room, and the drummer didn't bash them like a caveman, then a HP is probably all you need...maybe add or subtract a couple db's with a high-shelf, but that's about all

if the hat track is fucked up, then start mangling it with EQ, or see if you can compress some of the harshness out of it; it's worked for me in the past by using a pretty quick attack with a med/slow knee, and a medium-ish release.

this is another one of those questions where it totally depends on what the track sounds like, especially in the mix...if you have good hats that are properly mic'ed in a good room, and the drummer didn't bash them like a caveman, then a HP is probably all you need...maybe add or subtract a couple db's with a high-shelf, but that's about all

if the hat track is fucked up, then start mangling it with EQ, or see if you can compress some of the harshness out of it; it's worked for me in the past by using a pretty quick attack with a med/slow knee, and a medium-ish release.

yea, i think you hit the nail on the head. really depends on hats, mics, OH positions, drummer. in my case - i think all played a part - sadly.

i have been using Modern's VLME comp with pretty good results.