How to use that moprhing sound in nuendo for synths....

Jun 2, 2005
Okay.. that morphing sound, it might not be the right term.. but here is a example of what i mean:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=283678

You can hear how if gradually goes from one extreme to a more softer and smoother part... and then back to extreme again... now, this is a preset in toxic III that does this automatically.

What im looking for is to do this manually with other synths... only way i can do this right now is with velocity... problem there being, i have to pencil in a new note PER velocity hit.. so it does not sound smooth at all, and quite shit.
Expression does not work on every synths, and certainly not on the synths that i have and the way i want it be.

So the only option left for me is to do it manually WITHIN the synth itself... for example, i taketh good ole nexus... i load up the synths... create a MIDI track in nuendo, and pencil in a note.

Now after pencilling in a note, i go into the nexus synth itself, and "morph" the shit out of this note just created.

"so black neon dork, what be your problem then?!?" i hear you thinking...

Well the problem is that i can't get this recorded as well.. i can do this in the synth iself while playing a note, but i need it printed as well.
And i don't have my CME MIDI keyboard anymore, so i have to do this in nuendo... but how??

Cheers!

Hey BNB,

I think I sort of understand your question so I'll have a go, if im wrong or misunderstood im sorry!

So nexus is a soft synth? Virtual instrument?
If so, just like hardware synths most paramaters have midi CC numbers assigned to them (or you can assign midi CC numbers to them if they already dont). What you have to do is find out what midi CC number is assigned to the knob that you are tweeking that is giving you your desired effect. Then, automate that controller (as you would volume and pan fades on an audio track, etc) to produce what you would usualy do manualy in real time. Is this what you mean?
Or how about this. Can you route your audio cards main outs back into its stereo ins? If so, route the synth to the main audio outs (or seperate audio outs if your audio card has them which would be ideal), arm a new stereo audio track and keep an eye on the input level on that track, hit play/record and do your morphing tweeks in real time as it gets recorded to another audio track. Do a few passes so you have lots of different options to cut and paste, etc. Remember though, if you are routing your synth out of your main outs (not seperate outs) then dont monitor the new track where its going to be recorded onto, otherwise a feedback loop will occur. This means you wont be hearing what is coming "off tape" but its a work around, besides, many smaller audio cards that have so called "direct monitoring" forget to tell ya that its direct monitor volume pot is sending you the signal before it has been recorded (split taken from the channel input) when it should be coming off tape (once signal has passed through your recorder) so you are actualy hearing what is being recorded. Isnt it funny how companies disregard audio techniques to sell shit, ah, welcome to globalization! Well, thats my moan and winge for the day.
Not sure if this has helped, best I could do with my understanding of the question. Hey im just a keyboard player!

cheers,

madmuso

I'd guess that the sweeping Q/lowpass thing would be assigned to the mod wheel, which is probably CC00 or CC01.

Hey BNB,

I think I sort of understand your question so I'll have a go, if im wrong or misunderstood im sorry!

So nexus is a soft synth? Virtual instrument?
If so, just like hardware synths most paramaters have midi CC numbers assigned to them (or you can assign midi CC numbers to them if they already dont). What you have to do is find out what midi CC number is assigned to the knob that you are tweeking that is giving you your desired effect. Then, automate that controller (as you would volume and pan fades on an audio track, etc) to produce what you would usualy do manualy in real time. Is this what you mean?
Or how about this. Can you route your audio cards main outs back into its stereo ins? If so, route the synth to the main audio outs (or seperate audio outs if your audio card has them which would be ideal), arm a new stereo audio track and keep an eye on the input level on that track, hit play/record and do your morphing tweeks in real time as it gets recorded to another audio track. Do a few passes so you have lots of different options to cut and paste, etc. Remember though, if you are routing your synth out of your main outs (not seperate outs) then dont monitor the new track where its going to be recorded onto, otherwise a feedback loop will occur. This means you wont be hearing what is coming "off tape" but its a work around, besides, many smaller audio cards that have so called "direct monitoring" forget to tell ya that its direct monitor volume pot is sending you the signal before it has been recorded (split taken from the channel input) when it should be coming off tape (once signal has passed through your recorder) so you are actualy hearing what is being recorded. Isnt it funny how companies disregard audio techniques to sell shit, ah, welcome to globalization! Well, thats my moan and winge for the day.
Not sure if this has helped, best I could do with my understanding of the question. Hey im just a keyboard player!

cheers,

madmuso

Why thank you kind sir! :worship:

Yes, it's a softsynth madmuso.. and i think i get it now, all im used to is working with a MIDI keyboard which has knobs i could tweak so i could get any desired effect on any desired button/knob...
and now, without that keyboard, i was having a hard time trying to get it done the same way... and as usual, i was simply overanalyzing the situation :p

I think i got it now... it should work perfectly like you described it in your first explanation.

On the second one.. i have a M-audio audiophile 24/96... so i have no idea yet if i could route it the way you described it.. but hell, i'll give it a try sometimes.. even though it was not a really expensive card, so i could be running into direct monitoring problems...

Thanks!