how to/workflow for recording a DI and amp at the sam time?

s34nsm411

May 3, 2004
two questions, what do you guys recommend I get for splitting a guitar signal to be fed to an amp and directly to the interface?

and also, I was trying to picture how I would arrange my tracks when doing this without stuff getting crazy after doing many leads and overdubs of rhythm but im not sure how I would do it. Using track lanes in cubase maybe? Just use a muted track under each amp track with the DI on it?

when i record stuff with tthe intention of reamping, i track the di's until i have all the takes i want while monitoring either through the amp or an amp sim, then i reamp it. This way minimizes editing and sorting through takes.

most DI's have a split that allows you to send your signal to an amp in conjunction to direct.

so just connect the tuner normally. the guitar connected to the input, the output goin to the amp, the use the Bypass Out to be a DI

I just have the passive Radial DI, which has a 1/4" "Thru" output, which continues on to the the amp or amp sim. The XLR output of course is the DI signal.

I just have the passive Radial DI, which has a 1/4" "Thru" output, which continues on to the the amp or amp sim. The XLR output of course is the DI signal.

I've noticed that if you use that box in reverse to reamp, it sends the signal coming into the XLR through both the 1/4 in and the "Thru" output. This seems odd to me but works I guess. Should I be using the 1/4 in or the thru output when reamping or does it even matter?

Tracks do start adding up. For every guitar track I have the scratch, the DI, and then the reamped track. So if you have two rhythms and a lead, that's 9 tracks of guitar. If you quad track you could be looking at 15 or 18 tracks. Yuck!

I do the scratch sound track so there is something to listen back to to review and play along to. I suppose after you have the DI's cleaned up and you're ready to reamp you could simply delete the scratch tracks.

I use Audition 3.0 and as far as I know there isn't a way to group several tracks together to like hide those you don't want to see at the moment. That would be handy though!

As far as arranging, currently I have all the scratch takes, then the DIs, then the reamps. It might be better to do like Guitar Left scratch, Guitar Left DI, Guitar Left reamp, Guitar Right scratch, etc...

I've noticed that if you use that box in reverse to reamp, it sends the signal coming into the XLR through both the 1/4 in and the "Thru" output. This seems odd to me but works I guess. Should I be using the 1/4 in or the thru output when reamping or does it even matter?

I haven't noticed any difference between the two

Tracks do start adding up. For every guitar track I have the scratch, the DI, and then the reamped track. So if you have two rhythms and a lead, that's 9 tracks of guitar. If you quad track you could be looking at 15 or 18 tracks. Yuck!
Welcome to hell, 16 tracks for rhythm is pretty standard here

They're both wired parallel to one another, so they're essentially the same jack... there should be no difference at all...

Andrew07 said:
I've used the out from the white boss tuner pedal to get a di
haha does this work without affecting the gain of the signal going into the amp?

Have also started to dick around with reamping just recently. Didn't have the cash for a DI etc, so I just ran some tests with a Digitech Digidelay that has stereo out for splitting the signal. I also just used at stomp box as reverse box. Sounded fine to me when reamped. N00b ears can be wrong tho. Can post some results later maybe. Gotta be out the door in 2 mins...