How would you improve this mix? D-Drop

Sep 20, 2009
Helsinki Finland
soundcloud.com
So, i think this is definetly my best mix so far but i'd love some opinions from you guys! I'd like to hear how to make symbald groove more and make that drive more aggressive. :/ What do you think?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7606286/kurpitsainentilhi3.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7606286/kurpitsainentilhi4.mp3 (low volume mix) Don't really know if this is better of worse than the earlier! :)

New: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7606286/kurpitsainentilhi10002.mp3] <- c-drop, green channel, master and drum tweaks.. better or worse?

the mix is solid!
maybe some more ambient on the snare to glue it more into the mix
i really like the guitars, still the 6505+ preampout + impulse?
its also cool how the bass growl comes through

ah I listened to the older one, the new one is better
its a really really nice mix man. your stuff allready sounded good when I heared it the first time, but this one is really the best so far I think
which channel/impulse did you use btw? and what on grind for bass too?

ah I listened to the older one, the new one is better
its a really really nice mix man. your stuff allready sounded good when I heared it the first time, but this one is really the best so far I think
which channel/impulse did you use btw? and what on grind for bass too?

Thankyou very muchos! I've been messing around a lot with different kind of results and so far i think too that this is my best!

It's the red channel of the 5150 and the same s-preshigh as always. Single tracked guitars not doubled. Gnarl on the bass is the basic two track DI+AMP and the distortion is LEXTAC. It's the best clean distortion i've tried to MY taste :) I don't like too Farty OD bass it lacks texture, but this way it's hard to get it tight. I did a third track that i send those 2 track and slam it with SSL G and blend 'em actually 50/50 :) It makes the bass ride quite solid with guitars. But i'd like to have it glued more on drums though.

Thankyou very muchos! I've been messing around a lot with different kind of results and so far i think too that this is my best!

It's the red channel of the 5150 and the same s-preshigh as always. Single tracked guitars not doubled. Gnarl on the bass is the basic two track DI+AMP and the distortion is LEXTAC. It's the best clean distortion i've tried to MY taste :) I don't like too Farty OD bass it lacks texture, but this way it's hard to get it tight. I did a third track that i send those 2 track and slam it with SSL G and blend 'em actually 50/50 :) It makes the bass ride quite solid with guitars. But i'd like to have it glued more on drums though.

nice, thanks for the info!
haha yeah, I know what you mean with farty bass distortion :lol:
gotta try LeXtac for it one time

i don't know of any threds talking about quantizing drums to sound more human like, but i suppose for some snare/tom/cymbal hits you can quantize them to the grid, then select certain ones, turn snap-to off, then just nudge them the slightest bit either early or late to kinda give it a little more of a none perfect/robotic feel. the mix itself sounds amazing man, but i have one question, did you retrack guitars in drop c or just pitch them down from the original tracks? either way i can't tell :)

edit: btw, what i meant by nudging the notes, i'd do it whenever the snare and kick hit at the same time. whenever its just the snare, have that locked to the grid, but nudge it a hair when they both hit. same for toms.

i don't know of any threds talking about quantizing drums to sound more human like, but i suppose for some snare/tom/cymbal hits you can quantize them to the grid, then select certain ones, turn snap-to off, then just nudge them the slightest bit either early or late to kinda give it a little more of a none perfect/robotic feel. the mix itself sounds amazing man, but i have one question, did you retrack guitars in drop c or just pitch them down from the original tracks? either way i can't tell :)

edit: btw, what i meant by nudging the notes, i'd do it whenever the snare and kick hit at the same time. whenever its just the snare, have that locked to the grid, but nudge it a hair when they both hit. same for toms.

Updated the file with a lil fucking up on drums. Aah, heck, i don't know. Think im going on wrong direction here.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7606286/kurpitsainentilhi10001.mp3

i see what you're saying about the wrong direction. i mean, sounds more human, but i think it sounds weird because the snare and kick sound pretty similar imo, so maybe if you did something to spread them apart? idk. it's hard to come up with ideas when i'm not sitting in front of the mix