How would you mix a song in 2hrs.

Styvo

Feb 27, 2008
It's not the first time this scenario is playing out,but not one i personally enjoy.
I get this really good band in today,mature musicians with good gear and solid tones,everything works like a charm and we track 5 songs,intended target.(Live)

Now tomz we are going to have to allocate time to do the vocals proper,well as proper as times allowes seeing they would like the songs mixed also.

In normal circumastances i wouldn't mix on a tracking day but the studio needs the work and i the money.

How would you guys approach a scenario as described.Keep it simple make sure things are in phase and balanced and don't worry too much about the sheen,or work on one track alittle more solidly at the mercy of the others?

Hey mate, nice to see you posting on here. How'd you stumble onto the place?

I think if I were faced with a situation like that (given that most of us gravely avoid them) I would spend most of the time on the main 'single' track. Decide which is the strongest, do the core template mix on it, get it as good as you can, and then just apply that same template to the others and give the automation a quick whirl. If the band think it sounds too rough at the end of the day, you can always inform them that the professional sheen usually comes from working 1 or 2 days per song mixed. As long as they understand what they will get at the end of the day and you 'manage their expectations' so to speak (I hate that I picked up that corporate terminology, but it really is relevant...) they should be satisfied.

Though I do feel for you, because 2 hours is barely enough to get everything edited up and do a rough mix for a single track, much less 5 of them. Maybe inform the band of the options and how much better the end result stands to be if they book another day or two strictly for the mixing. Perhaps they don't understand how crucial the mixing process is, and how it commonly is the 'make or break' element of local Oz productions.

All the best!

PS. Your signature links to the wrong studio!

Hey Ermz
Man i've checkd out a couple of forum's and i'd have to say this for me is probably the best one.All the dudes here seem really knowledgable and share some very cool techniques.Not to mention that there is a commonality that links us all.

I already informed the guys in the band,what to excpect....budget is there concern.....delivering a good result my concern.
It just shits me,because the potential is there for a really good product,but without having the time to sculpt it, it's going to reflect negatively when people say were was it done.

I guess thats my frustration more than anything.........

Admitedly on the way home tonight,i was considering the exact same scenario you mentioned,work on one to a better degree with the hope that it entices them to look at investing more time into there other tracks.

I guess tomz will tell..........

Hope your well man,keep up the good work.

I wrote a huge post, and the forum ate it.

It boiled down to not rushing things, and remember not to add too many plugins. Don't waste time on trying things out, and just do what your ear is telling you to do.

Let the song shine, and don't worry *too* much about engineering.
A professional band will make you sound better just by being great players.

Pull off an "Alan Smithee"! (If you know what I mean..)

Edit: If refusing to take credit for your own work doesn't get them to worry, then don't bother. Get your mix as far as possible in that time, without rushing things... and just let it be.

Chances are quite high, they will change their minds...

Focus more on faders than EQ. Be decisive. When it doubt, just go with your gut and keep moving. When I have to mix like that I try not to spend ANY time doing "repairs" on the performance unless the band insists. Once you feel like you've got it all dialed, turn on your favorite reference album and re-evaluate, tweak accordingly, then print the fucker.

Good luck!:headbang:

Hey Ermz
Man i've checkd out a couple of forum's and i'd have to say this for me is probably the best one.All the dudes here seem really knowledgable and share some very cool techniques.Not to mention that there is a commonality that links us all.

Without a doubt. This is the best forum I've ever found on the net. Really glad to have been a part of it for so many years now. The amount of stuff I've learned in my time here has been absolutely astonishing... Glad it's working for you too.

I feel your frustration with the session. I suppose all you can do is make the best of it and hope the band change their minds. I'll try to ease some of that financial burden with some more studio bookings hopefully within the next few months. Between TRS and Eastern Bloc I've finally found the studios for all budgets, so we can finally get under way and record some music.

Have a good one.

I think everyone else is really on target. Don't over analyze the whole thing, just get down to the nitty gritty. Put it this way, some albums are mixed in 3 months, others in 3 hours. I'm going to be honest and say that 2 hours is not enough to mix five songs, period. Drums and seating the vocal usually need the most work, the guitars and bass take care of themselves most of the time if you perform the right high cuts/low cuts/hi-passes etc. Get the drums to punch through the mix and sound fat but not artificial, get the bass up till its just audible enough and sits beneath the guitar, raise the guitars, maybe sculpt a tad of room for the drums in the guitars, bring up the vocal, add a little plate verb and maybe a very short delay and ta-da!

I'd have some track presets ready and slap them on each track. Then I'd tweak them until my time ran out.

Also try to rely on the less is more principle as Noodles mentioned. Two hours goes by so fast when you're mixing.

I'd have some track presets ready and slap them on each track. Then I'd tweak them until my time ran out.

I've been doing live sessions, and for the video edits - I've got around 45 mins for each track.

I spend 20 mins making a template in logic, with the appropriate routing and plugins etc and then save that.

Everything from there is just tweaking and making sure it's constant across the whole CD.

Luckily, I'll get time to finish them off once the video is nearing completion - but getting the audio quickly to the video guys is important as it allows me more time to have a great video!

Thanks Heaps Fellas :headbang:

The motto for the day-KISS......

Keep It Simple Stupid

I don't have any suggestions to add beyond what's been already said, but I just wanted to say welcome and HOT DAMN what a place you've got! How do you like those Tannoy Ellipses? And it's hard to see from the lighting, but are those Yamaha MSP7's flanking them? (and what do you think of those?) And DAMN what a lounge, I love the painted brick, the lighting, and the freakin' pool table, too posh! Though may I nominate that you're in need of a guitar rig upgrade (or at least expansion) :D

in the end its alway the mixing engineer who looses...
i feel, that most people do not really appreciate our work.

people expect us to edit/mix a great song, which without us would be nothing...
still they're not willing to pay for the hard work and the years and years of our
experience.

personally, i need at least 1 day for 1 song (8hours).

everything else is not acceptable for me, most bands understand that,
as they appreciate my work and really want to work with me.
if they dont have the money, they better start saving and stop smoking :)

Do a minimalistic mix on the tracking day. Take the wav files home with you and do a full mix to show them what is possible if you have the time. If they enjoy the full mix, then let them have it if they compensate you for your time.

I don't have any suggestions to add beyond what's been already said, but I just wanted to say welcome and HOT DAMN what a place you've got! How do you like those Tannoy Ellipses? And it's hard to see from the lighting, but are those Yamaha MSP7's flanking them? (and what do you think of those?) And DAMN what a lounge, I love the painted brick, the lighting, and the freakin' pool table, too posh! Though may I nominate that you're in need of a guitar rig upgrade (or at least expansion) :D

Thanks for your feedback.The Tannoys are ok,personally not my prefered monitor,more so because i work with bands,however with guys who use the studio and work with midi/loop dance rnb pop crap,they seem to translate well for them,especially in the lower bass region.We also have a pair of adam s3a's and there the ones i primarly use to mix on.It's nice to be able to check things on an alternate monitor,but im not a huge fan of the Tannoy's at all.

As it's turned out,the band spent alot longer than expected on vocals which i knew was going to be the case.I pretty much tracked it all live,Audix drums mics going into the Sebatrons including OH he used a Tama Starclassic and made a comment that he thought it was the best tom sound he had heard,Bass was a Lab System Head D.I'd into the TLA, Gtr was a Peavy Joe Satriani Cab miced with a 57 into the Amek,and the other Gtr was a Messa combo miced with e906 into the Pendulum.
Didn't use any compression only small amount of eq on the kick drum and focused on getting it right at the source.

The band decided to book another day and allocate 2hrs per track for mixing.
I also like to spend atleast 8hrs on a track listening and fine tuning things,but i think some of the guys who have already replied on here saying use fader moves,make the vocals shine with minimal processing etc are right in saying so.

I have taken a copy of one of the tracks with me and will mess around with it and if i get around to it in time and manage to mix it,i'll post it on here so you guys can make suggestions and leave some feedback.