Howdy

Dobbit

Oprah
Jun 29, 2004
Quincy, Ma
Howdy everyone. I'm new to this forum so I figured I'd go and introduce myself or something, heh. I've been reading this forum for a bit and got bored enough with my unexistent social life that I finally decided to register so I have something to take up time.

I'm mainly a guitarist, although I play bass as well. I've been playing guitar for a little over 4 years now, and bass for about 3 months. I used to play an Ibanez EX160 that my older brother got me for Christmas. After that, I coaxed him into giving me his B.C. Rich Ironbird NJ Series Custom since he didn't play it anymore. I replaced the pick-ups that were in it. I don't know what they were, but I put a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge position and a Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell in the neck. The bass I recently bought is a Spector, but I don't remember the model name. It has EMG active pick-ups in it and it sounds really nice, and the action on it is incredible.

What are you guys currently playing?

Welcome to the forum, looks like you have pretty nice equipment there, well anyway I play bass and my current bass is Ibanez SR406(6-string). It has stock pickups which are ok.

Cool, oh, I used to own a Peavey Bandit 112 amp, but I have since upgraded to the Line 6 Flextone III XL. (or whichever one is the biggest and baddest of that series, I forgot the name of that) Wicked awesome amp though, best $1400 I've spent, for the floorboard and amp. My BC Rich doesn't count as a major purchase because my brother gave it to me, so I'm lucky I didn't have to buy it off of him. :Spin: But I'm sure if I did have to buy it, it would've been a pretty penny. It has onboard electronics and sooooo many knobs and stuff to fiddle with, and its neck-through, so it has some pretty sweet sustain. :Spin:

Welcome. I'm also new here, but don't feel like introducing myself...Anyway, I hope you learn to play bass well, and don't think of it as a second rhythm guitar. Many people who take up bass do that, and also use a pick. Don't do that...

Oh right, I have an extremely shitty setup. A rogue 100xl or whatever the model number is, into a Behringer 600bx or something. The behringer is good, though sorta fragile, but the rogue is a true piece of crap. I accidentally turned the volume and tone knobs too much, now they sorta go past where they're supposed to, and don't change the tone well. The sound you get out of it is pretty horrible, and the neck is so warped I had to drastically raise the truss rod so that it would be even playable. Otherwise playing an open string would result in the string hitting the first fret...really bad.

Yeah, I've been teaching myself how to play using my fingers, just because then it allows you to slap and pop and everything. There wouldn't be much of a point of me learning the bass if I just used a pick, now would there? I mean, I'd be doing the same kinda stuff, but with only less strings and larger frets. Right now I can play pretty well with two fingers, and I'm trying to teach myself how to play with three, but thats a bit difficult for me to do right now, I'll get it down eventually though.

Dobbit said:
Yeah, I've been teaching myself how to play using my fingers, just because then it allows you to slap and pop and everything. There wouldn't be much of a point of me learning the bass if I just used a pick, now would there? I mean, I'd be doing the same kinda stuff, but with only less strings and larger frets. Right now I can play pretty well with two fingers, and I'm trying to teach myself how to play with three, but thats a bit difficult for me to do right now, I'll get it down eventually though.

Im not a bassist, but i can promise you that playing with three fingers adds alot! The bassist in my band uses 3 and he is starting to get an awesome flow in scales and such...

Welcome!

Currently, guitar wise, I have a Jackson USA Kelly and a Charvel model 550XL(neckthrough, one hum, one single coil..sounds great!). The Jackson is getting the Duncan JB pulled out and a BL L-500XL dropped in.(The JB will then go into the Charvel).
Amp wise, I have a digitech 2101 Artist with a peavy combo. It's not the best, but it's good enough for now. I am saving up for a VHT Pitbull Ultralead half stack, so..it's worth just being patient for now.

Yah..using your fingers is the way on bass, but I would not discount picking either. I say learn both, as both have their uses.

Granskog said:
Yes, Picks are for looser. As many fingers and strings as possible!!!
Bah. Every string beyond the sixth is unnecessary flash. And there´s nothing wrong with using a pick... I actually kinda admire good pick-bassists (Steve Harris, Chris Squire, Dave Meros) because I can´t. ;) But let´s not get into this useless discussion here.

On to the actual topic. I´ve only been playing the bass for close to five months, so I still have my first one, which I´m very happy with. It´s an Ibanez SR 300 DX (four-string) with active electronics and standard P and J pickups at neck and bridge respectively.

I'm pretty sure Steve Harris plays bass with his fingers. I don't have much against people playing the bass with picks and everything, it's just that it wouldn't be anything new for me. Since I play guitar mainly with a pick, (sometimes I fingerpick, but thats rare) I don't want to be doing the same thing with a different instrument. Thus, I play bass with my fingers, since it's just something new to do for me. :D

Just thought I'd add to the discussion on pick bassists a bit. I used to be totally against it - the bass player in my band uses fingers only and it sounds great. But sometimes, with the right kind of pick and the right technique, you can get a great sound with a pick. My evidence is during the solo for "Black Dog" on Led Zep's "Song Remains the Same" movie - the bass sounds awesome with that pick!

I have probably the worst guitars here, I have 1 acoustic, and 2 electric. the acoustic is a Jasmine, dont know the model name, which cost me $169. Its decent. The electric I started with was a First Act(Piece of crap I store under my bed), cost about $100also, came with a crappy amp, which cost maybe 60 bucks, and my guitar I use now, is a Peavey Raptor Series, which costs $200, piece of crap, but I get by. My current Amp, is a Peavey Rage 158, which costs $100, its ok, but it is a small amp,It's distortion sucks ass, but I have a pretty nice pedal, Boss-Distortion/Overdrive. I eventually wanna get a $500 range guitar, I don't have a specific make in mind.

Granskog said:
Yeah, honestly i agree. but it looks quite impressive with 9: www.conklinguitars.com
In my opinion, bass like this one ( http://www.24hourguitar.com/images/Cnv0077.jpg ) don´t look impressive, but rather outright ridiculous.

Indeed, Steve plays with his fingers... hot damn, I always thought his trademark crunchy, galopping style could only stem from using a pick... but doing so with his fingers makes him an even better bassist, I suppose.