How's this mix? (epic layered pop/rock)

dan weapon

Planet Smasher
Nov 14, 2005
Aberdeen
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Thought I'd seek some criticism/opinions on this mix? It's a bit different to what I normally do, and what this board usually deals with - i.e. metal.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11702056/Whereivebeenfinal1.mp3

My friend wanted to do a vocal cover of a roses are red song (they were an alt. rock/emo band). I changed it a fair bit to add in some of my influences such as Devin, Filter and Duran Duran.

Anyway, fire away any thoughts please :)

Vocals sound really good! They could use a little bit more low-mids or sth to sound a tiny bit fuller. But thats not the thing that is unnecessary (are they paralell compressed?)
I would lower the kick and the snare (and also choose some different sound of the snare drum, but its up to you ;) )
The mix sound like there's too much harmonic excitement or you just pushed the limiting too hard. Anyways, its audible and quite distracting.
Good work, cheers :)

The snare's a bit mono, and maybe the vox are a bit loud in the first verse (or maybe they could be sung a bit less harshly in the first verse), but besides that, sounds pretty awesome to me. I did not expect to like this, but it's great. I can definitely hear some Duran Duran in there. Which rules.

The snare's a bit mono, and maybe the vox are a bit loud in the first verse (or maybe they could be sung a bit less harshly in the first verse), but besides that, sounds pretty awesome to me. I did not expect to like this, but it's great. I can definitely hear some Duran Duran in there. Which rules.

Haha cheers man, yeah Ordinary World is one of my favourite songs ever. And I know the snare sound wasn't going to be to everyone's tastes, but I was trying to do something a little different. The singer doesn't necessarily have the best voice in the world, and he did also have a raging cold - so I think the harshness comes from those aspects as well.

You are right about the snare sounding mono thought... bizarrely the more stereo verb I put on it, the more central it seemed to get. It isn't what I'd normally do anyway, so hopefully I won't have that problem again haha.

Cheers for feedback guys. :)

A better snare would give this mix a huge improvement. Otherwise, the vox is a bit too prominent (specially for a singer who doesn't sing really well) but that can be matter of taste. Loved the sound of the short guitar solo!