How's this mix? (metalcore... 5150/real drums)

I can´t say much, except that I diggin it a lot!! I could give you more detailed mixing feedback, if I´d be in the studio with decent monitors, that´s not the case. As far I can say, It sounds tight like ass, dude! And I love the overheads, very fine sounding hats. Do you know, what Hi-Hats the drummer used for the record?

Cheers felix! And no idea about the hats dude! I didn't actually record the drums (but I did edit/mix them etc) myself. He is a really good drummer actually, although the kick is clearly quantised and replaced etc the real kick was pretty spot on.

Cheers felix! And no idea about the hats dude! I didn't actually record the drums (but I did edit/mix them etc) myself. He is a really good drummer actually, although the kick is clearly quantised and replaced etc the real kick was pretty spot on.

Cheers, mate! :kickass:

No problem, I´ll find some nice fine sounding hats :)

Great stuff, it sounds so tight and clear! The only thing I´d certainly do different, I´d make the bass more hearable. The percussive sound of a bass played by a human being delivers so much live and organic feel into it! But that´s just my opinion. It´s fucking cool how it is!

The guitars are awesome holy crap. The only thing I didn't like was that the snare didn't have that much POP to it, but really that's kinda a preference thing, I don't think what you have sounds wrong by any means.

Cheers, mate! :kickass:

No problem, I´ll find some nice fine sounding hats :)

Great stuff, it sounds so tight and clear! The only thing I´d certainly do different, I´d make the bass more hearable. The percussive sound of a bass played by a human being delivers so much live and organic feel into it! But that´s just my opinion. It´s fucking cool how it is!

haha, someone else pointed this out! The bass is actually really cranked in the mix, it's just pretty dirty so it kinda merges with the guitars. Will have a look though. I'll ask the drummer what hats he uses, and let you know dude.

The guitars are awesome holy crap. The only thing I didn't like was that the snare didn't have that much POP to it, but really that's kinda a preference thing, I don't think what you have sounds wrong by any means.

Thanks man :)

I tried to get as much of the real snare in there as possible so it did lose a bit of the pop when I turned the sample down. My snares always sound good on their own but fail a bit more in the mix. Definitely need to improve that.

haha, someone else pointed this out! The bass is actually really cranked in the mix, it's just pretty dirty so it kinda merges with the guitars. Will have a look though. I'll ask the drummer what hats he uses, and let you know dude.

I hear ya, mate! :)

I´m a huge fan of Harris and Alex Webster, I love when the bass is working together with the drums that perfectly in the 1000 - 2000 hz area. Personal preference...or call it weird type of audio fetishism :D

Love your work, Dan. Still enjoying the "My Mind´s Weapon" CD and of course Clipping Death hahaha :worship:

Sounds awesome! But I also think the snare needs a bit more body

Any details on the mic position for the guitars?

Cheers man.

The takes using the SM57 had the middle of the mic exactly on the edge of the dustcap and about 1mm from the grille cloth. The i5 was positioned a tiny bit further away from the centre of the cone, so say about about a third over the dustcap. Both mics were pointing directly straight at the speaker, not angled at all.

Oh, and it was the top-right speaker of my mesa oversized angle cab. :)

Sounds really nice overall, but I don't like the snare that much...strange thin crack...sounds like its hitting some kind of box.
the rest is spot on I think

Palm mutes could be played a bit tighter/harder, but thats obviously not your fault ;)