Hows this mix?

plisken

Metal Keyboardist
Apr 23, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, I have worked quite a bit on my mixing skills since I last posted here. I have a mix I need some feedback on if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, drums need to cut a lot more through the mix. I'm hearing the kick or snare panned LR?? weird?
The main pad thingys should be more discrete they're eating a lot of space here.

All keys, leads and special stuff is way to loud. Drums get really drowned and seem panned to the left... Got the feeling some rythm guitars, are of sync, or not in rythm, or whatever you call it.

Other than the advice already posted I would consider using a multipressor on the guitars to get rid of some of those loud bursts during the palm muted sections. Perhaps even EQ some of the woofiness out.

Thanks for the quick feedback everyone! I really appreciate it!

As for the "panned" sounding drums, it was out of phase >.> I was experimenting with ways to make the mix sound wider. I fixed it in the new mix attached to this post.

I also made the drums cut through the mix better.

I also did make the keyboards lower. I think I need to automate it higher in some parts but I still have not done that part yet. The band is very keyboard driven, so the keys have to be very present, which in metal is a little hard when you have so many different keyboard tracks >.>

multipressor is only on logic, I use pro tools and cubase. But if I remember correctly its basically a multi band compressor right?

And Joelegend your right. Near the end the guitars are out of time with the song. The guitarist needs to re-record it, I just havent gotten the new tracks from him yet.

So fixing all the problems you guys mentioned unfortunately made the mix sound less wider I think. How can I make the mix really wide? I have tried the delay method but it isnt enough. Same with a stereo widener.

Last edited by a moderator:
multipressor is only on logic, I use pro tools and cubase. But if I remember correctly its basically a multi band compressor right?

Correct. I'm pretty sure Andy Sneap uses the C4 for similar issues. Do you have a hi pass filter on the guitars? It still sounds really woofy in the low end.

I do have a hi pass on the guitars. -12db @ 80hz. Its something im still trying to figure out. How to get the guitars to sound heavy but not woofy if you know what I mean.

So anything else in the new mix you guys think needs to be worked on?

Hi Pass the guitars more. Work on the bass tone as well. It's got no punch and just sounds like mud. I would start completely over. Start with mixing the drums. Get an even level and then mix the bass into that. Then the guitars. Then the keys and other lead stuff. Listen to other songs and mixes you like and really pay attention to what is going on. Then try to imitate it.