HPF on mic pres...

EtherForBreakfast

Hamster Style
Jun 19, 2005
Do any of you guys use high pass on your mic pres, so the guitars being printed are already high passed? Or do you not use any type of filtering and do so after they have been tracked?

The reason I ask is because my VTB1 mic pre has a 75hz high pass. When engaged I can hit my DAW with a higher signal and get fatter sine wavs, but it sounds "strange", almost "boxey" as opposed to the non high passed signal.

Discuss...

I tend to use the HPF on the mic itself quite frequently. Don't often do it on the mic pre. It ends up being a bit redundant, as I tend to HPF almost everything on the mix anyway, but I suppose it can let you get more signal and there's that security of knowing that you won't be tracking any weirdass rumble along with vox etc.

75hz is a bit too high of a frequency to filter out on guitars IMO, and I definitely prefer to do my filtering inside the box. Mic pre hi pass filters often sound weird to me (even on some expensive pres), but they are great for live shows on vocal mics!

That's what I was trying to say about my mic pre HPF. It sounds un-natural, but it does allow me to hit my adda's harder. Then again, I only have a basic little $100 Studio Projects VTB1, which I prefer over my EMU 1820M TFPro pres.

You think 75hz is too high, Kazrog? The frequency is fixed on this lil' pre. It's 75 or nothing, and its on or off.

I usually run high pass at 80hz on guitars... I guess you go down to 60hz on yours?

Yeah I hi pass around 60 hz on my guitars typically. Paranoia perhaps... sometimes I go as high as 80 hz, it just depends, I would hate to lock myself in at 75 hz though, easier just to do this inside the box.

Great topic. I'd love to hear how you all go about this.

This is just my un-professional opinion so don't listen...

The HPF's on my Allen & Heath board are 100hz (!) and I still run 'em on everything besides bass and kick drum. The stuff that I work on isn't really ever tuned lower than D so it's been ok. I never find myself having to boost low end on guitars or floor toms ITB.

One thing to keep in mind is the HPF is a slope rolloff, not an absolute, so you're still going to have some low end energy where it actually exists. More often than not, it's just crap that you're filtering out before the A/D. That's not to say everyone should HPF guitars at 100hz, it's just been fine for me so far.

I don't think it's unnatural sonding, rather more revealing of what you've really got going on without the low end rumble masking it by creating false energy on the track that's probably going to be filtered out later ITB anyway. In other words, I find that using the HPF upfront can save some headaches down the line.

ITB, I'll usually high pass guitars (again) wherever it sounds good in the mix. The HP frequency is always determined by the source material and the filter slope I choose.

Oh, and I agree with Moonie. HPF on the mic is preferable, then board, then ITB. IMO. Haha.

Interesting. I'm using Audix i5, so obviously I cannot HP with the mic itself.

In fact, what mics would you guys be talking about that have onboard hpf's that are suitable for high spl, chugga chugging, beer pounding metal spewing guitar cabs? I can't think of any.

Black Sugar - I dig what you are saying about the hp taking away alot of rumble and maybe giving a more true rep of the sound, but mine just sounds funny. I definitely prefer having it au natural - it's probably just my budget ass mic pre.

EtherForBreakfast said:
Interesting. I'm using Audix i5, so obviously I cannot HP with the mic itself.

In fact, what mics would you guys be talking about that have onboard hpf's that are suitable for high spl, chugga chugging, beer pounding metal spewing guitar cabs? I can't think of any.

Black Sugar - I dig what you are saying about the hp taking away alot of rumble and maybe giving a more true rep of the sound, but mine just sounds funny. I definitely prefer having it au natural - it's probably just my budget ass mic pre.

Yeah, for micing really loud guitar cabs you're probably not going to use a mic that has an HPF. In addition to Razorjack's suggestion, the only other mic with an HPF I can think of using for a guitar cab is an RE-20.

Actually, sometimes I'll split the guitar signal (pre-amp out) and run it through a 2x15 bass rig and mic that with an RE-20 (with the HPF on).

But yeah, it you don't like the HPF on your VTB-1, don't bother. Maybe try adding one ITB when you audition your tone before tracking...?

EtherForBreakfast said:
my VTB1 mic pre has a 75hz high pass. When engaged I can hit my DAW with a higher signal and get fatter sine wavs
very interesting mic... when presented with a complex, harmonically rich guitar sound at the capsule it manages to transform it into a simple sine wave.. ;)

just ribbing you a bit.. but keep in mind that "sine waves" are pure fundamental tones with no harmonics and a constant ampitude. they sound like a pure tone... and are not very musical.

LOL, Jaymz. You know what I meant though. Perhaps I should have said "the displayed wave form" and not "sine wav", which should indeed conjure up images of a dude probing a device whilst looking at an oscilloscope. with a /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ type thing happening. =)

frickin sticklers round these parts, I tell ya. you better hope you never fuck up the usage of they're, their, or there... =)

My 9098's HPF is like 120, so I don't use it much (except acoustic guitars). Sometimes I'll use the Distressor's filter on the way in on vocals, but usually just the UAD Cambridge in the mix. I'm in love with the filters on that thing. Where do you guys filter vocals, btw? Usually around 80 for me (guitars 60-80, depending).