hum/ground noise

I used Reafir in Reaper to get rid of the hum, If you sit in front of a computer while you record, that will make a humming sound because of the waves it gives off, any kind of fluorescent lights will also create the noise as well.

dexter maybe if you trying whit a usb interface? i have one but dont have a laptop... i will try to find one to do the experiment that wolefeman mentionend ...

I used Reafir in Reaper to get rid of the hum, If you sit in front of a computer while you record, that will make a humming sound because of the waves it gives off, any kind of fluorescent lights will also create the noise as well.
How exactly? I've never used that plugin. I tried moving away from the computer with no changes whatsoever

dexter maybe if you trying whit a usb interface? i have one but dont have a laptop... i will try to find one to do the experiment that wolefeman mentionend ...
I don't have a USB interface nor do I know someone that has one :/

I work as a ship-electrician at the moment, and to avoid ground-loops etc on sensitive systems, we use an isolating transformer or a UPS ... Often UPS's are called "Clean power" .. I remember when I worked on a big passenger ship here on the coast of Norway, there were NO radio noise or ground loops (I did get the time to record some DI's through ampsims etc, was able to play with max gain without the slightest noise)! Someone should try to build a studio in a ship some day, the steel walls makes the gear sing like a bird heh.. a little off-topic though, beer

I seem to have missed that post, so buying an UPS would fix it? So I connect all my computer cables to the UPS and then the UPS to the electricity (which has no "to ground" in this damn building) and that wouldn't start the cycle again? I'm sorry for the constant question but I am a newbie concerning electricity and UPSs are expensive so I gotta be 100% sure :p

please do, I get some hum on my firebox tracks as well (probably due to the shitty electrical work in this house, plus my pickup cavity being ungrounded and passive pickups)

please do, I get some hum on my firebox tracks as well (probably due to the shitty electrical work in this house, plus my pickup cavity being ungrounded and passive pickups)
I'm on passives too and I don't know that "cavity being ungrounded" means, but that's probably my case as well :p. Could you also try the UPS solution Onquel proposed? I don't know anyone with an UPS to try and buying one here is too expensive (more than 200 usd, and Argentina's exchange difference is almost 4-1 :()

one question... do you guys have this hum thing all the time ?

i asking beacause i only have this problem when i use ampsims and use a boost in front like solo c or when i crank really hard the gain of the ampsim....i used pssives pickups too and the instrument in of mi interface...so it its normal to have so much noise using passive pickups or its have nothing to do?

In addition to this try going to your local version of radio shack and picking up some clip on 'ferrite chokes.' might help with some of the noise and/or interference. They are cheap. Good luck!

one question... do you guys have this hum thing all the time ?

i asking beacause i only have this problem when i use ampsims and use a boost in front like solo c or when i crank really hard the gain of the ampsim....i used pssives pickups too and the instrument in of mi interface...so it its normal to have so much noise using passive pickups or its have nothing to do?
All the time, it gets worse with every additional thing that adds gain, so TS makes it worse.

In addition to this try going to your local version of radio shack and picking up some clip on 'ferrite chokes.' might help with some of the noise and/or interference. They are cheap. Good luck!
No Radio Shack in Argentina and I hated that place in the USA, most overpriced store ever, haha. Anyway, I'll try and find them here, where should I put them?

Do you get noise when you plug into a normal guitar amp? Make sure that your guitar electronics are physically grounded to your bridge. i.e. actual wire soldered to brigde AND ground star of guitar electronics. It would blow you away how may les pauls made it out of the factory through the ninetys with no bridge ground.

All the time, it gets worse with every additional thing that adds gain, so TS makes it worse.

No Radio Shack in Argentina and I hated that place in the USA, most overpriced store ever, haha. Anyway, I'll try and find them here, where should I put them?

"Welcome to Radio Shack- Your phone number please?" Man that used to piss me off. Like they were gonna call me with this weeks specials or something!

Try the chokes on whatever seems to work. I have them on all my power cords (especially the studio monitors) and any audio related USB or firewire cords. They are cheap so buy extra and experiment.

Good luck!:headbang:

Do you get noise when you plug into a normal guitar amp? Make sure that your guitar electronics are physically grounded to your bridge. i.e. actual wire soldered to brigde AND ground star of guitar electronics. It would blow you away how may les pauls made it out of the factory through the ninetys with no bridge ground.

I don't have a guitar amp anymore, but I used to have a Squier 15w amp when I had my first guitar like 5+ years ago and I remember it doing the same noise. Concerning the inner circuits, I am very positive that they are properly soldered as I send my guitars to a luthier to get them calibrated every now and then and the guy checks everything in the guitar as a plus.

"Welcome to Radio Shack- Your phone number please?" Man that used to piss me off. Like they were gonna call me with this weeks specials or something!

Try the chokes on whatever seems to work. I have them on all my power cords (especially the studio monitors) and any audio related USB or firewire cords. They are cheap so buy extra and experiment.

Good luck!:headbang:
On my last trip to USA I bought a 6-to-4 pin firewire cable in Radio Shack for 40usd (F-O-R-T-Y) because I thought it would be hard to find in Argentina only to find out that:
1) It was cheaper in every other store, like J&R for example, I think it was 20usd
2) It was findable in most Argentinian stores and for prices similar or cheaper to J&R's
3) I didn't even need the cable because my motherboard turned out to have a 6-pin firewire connector (contrary to what ASus' site said), haha
bonus) The clerk at Radio Shack was an ashole

Back on topic, are these the ones?: http://media.photobucket.com/image/ferrite chokes/siamaloha/Ban Mo shopping trip/FerriteChokes.jpg
So you cover any part of the cable with one of those?

I need to confirm that so I can ask people in Argentina for the proper name in Spanish. I doubt any hardware store clerk in here speaks English, haha

Yep. Those are them. There are a few different sizes/types for clipping on different gauges of cords but those will do nicely. Most USB audio cables already have a choke on them but the more the merrier I say.

I don't have a guitar amp anymore, but I used to have a Squier 15w amp when I had my first guitar like 5+ years ago and I remember it doing the same noise. Concerning the inner circuits, I am very positive that they are properly soldered as I send my guitars to a luthier to get them calibrated every now and then and the guy checks everything in the guitar as a plus.

That doesn't mean anything at all. take a wire and touch 1 end to your bridge and 1 end to the back of a pot. Does that make the sound go away? I am almost certain that this a grounding problem and not your power or anything after your guitar.