Hydra

katatonikblacksoul

New Metal Member
Aug 19, 2005
According to the website Musicmight Martin Walkyier, Frazer Craske and Andy Sneap were in a band called Hydra before Sabbat??

Can anyone shed anymore light on this? was there such a band and was there any recordings made by this band??

Cheers Thankyou
Pete.

Martin and Frazers first band were called Hydra. They did a few local shows, then I joined, guitarist Adam Ferman left, we did the first Sabbat demo, drummer Mark Dailey left and we got Simon Negus in. It was really basic the material they were doing and nothing at all like Sabbat.

Greetings from Grotch, a.k.a. Adam Firman (not Ferman as consistently referred to by my ex bandmates from centuries ago). The reclusive one talks...

Just found this thread and had to laugh Sneapy...you aint changed you cocky git (joking buddy). Just found it hilarious that you couldnt help put a little comment about Hydra being basic...felt like a dig ha ha. No seriously I know where you're coming from but I have to offer a defence and some truth after all this time...as a 16 year old kid with bugger all equipment I spent hours every day in my bedroom coming up with bucket loads of ideas. Limited technical ability for sure but I wrote melodies in my sleep back then mate, and everyone knew it too. Even a Mod named Martin got converted. Frazer and Top Timekeeper Daley just couldn't handle half of it...too busy cutting out cardboard headstones for the band that wouldn't have existed if I hadn't written all the material and spoon fed it to em. Blimey...I aint changed either. Its the truth though.

One thing that always got on my pip mate was people coming up to me going on about how you replaced me in the band when the truth was that I was losing interest anyway and the thrash direction wasn't one I wanted to go in. Not my kind of thing and never will be. Think you coming along just hastened the exit. I had more of a problem with the sneaky way you got hired, not you actually being hired cos in all honesty, to progress as Hydra we either needed another guitar or I had to start spending cash on better gear. Looking back I suppose the others were concerned they might get a punch in the eye cos I was a bit of a loose cannon at times.

You might recall I supported Sabbat from day one, attending your first gigs, buying the album and Martin might recall a tearful phone call from me giving my heartfelt congrats on the release of the first album. I was really happy for you all and took full credit for getting Scit and Martin on the first rung and would like to think they would admit that. Not the behaviour of someone with a grudge...and as we ourselves have discussed once or twice when we have met up since, all that Sneapy versus Grotch ill feeling was monstrously overdone by others who couldnt add 2 plus 2...well it was on my part any way....never really hated you at all man and in all honesty I think we were both too busy to give a monkeys about each other weren't we? Think we only had one set to over some tickets at that Sabbat / Hydra Mk II gig didnt we?

If anyone has lots of gold and silver, I have some really rare live taped recordings of Hydra pre Sabbat that I'm sure Martin in particular would like to burn...kin LOL.

Anyway, present day is what matters man...and I wanna say mega congrats on the Hell project. Great to hear that stuff after all this time and seeing the show at Shipley rekindled some fond memories of phenomenal gigs the original line up put on. I remember Rob Reid telling me you had shed tears over it...well done geezer.

I have at last strapped my beautiful Fender Strat back on and am fronting a metal band called Coraya, based around the Mansfield area...check us out on Facebook and Youtube, or come see us at our next show at the Intake in Mansfield on 13th Oct (we're on early at 6.30pm).

Hope alls well with you mate...and if you ever have room for an opening act, give me a nudge.

For now, all the best
Grotch