Hyper Hyper Girl Lover + Aneska

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Hyper Hyper Girl Lover + Aneska
Wolverhampton, Little Civic
28th March 2002
By Philip Whitehouse

It's unusual to go to a local venue and see a band that is offering up a sound so fresh and original that it defies classification beyond perfunctoray hints at possible influences. It's even rarer (and as a result, far more rewarding) for this to happen twice in the same night. But, that's what I got to savour last night The Little Civic.

Aneska started off the night, with an eclectic opening set that bristled with energy and enthusiasm. 'This is our first gig,' informed singer Daniel Evans, 'so be gentle with us. Very gentle.' The irony of his statement became apparent when he unleashed his stentorian bellow during the heavier moments of songs that veered between nu-metal mosh-groove, near-noisecore dissonance and trad-rock melodicism without leaving room for breath. In terms of stage presence, it must be said that the miniscule stage almost couldn't hold them, the guitarist in particular proving entertaining to watch, here throwing himself about like a hyperactive eight-year-old, and there drooping over his guitar like a suicidal mannequin.

Particular highlights included the jarring, labyrinthine structures of 'Forest', the almost-perfectly timed mosh-groove money shots contained within 'Whatever' and the excellent set-closer 'Nice Day'. It's clear that with a bit more polish to the song structures and more experience as a live unit, Aneska will become a force to be reckoned with. [8]

There was another band before the headliners that night, but sadly I missed most of their set because I was at the bar. From what I did see of Anti-hero though, musically they were tight, but between-song uncertainty and lack of stage presence let them down, along with a suspicious reliance on cover songs over original material let them down.

And then came Hyper Hyper Girl Lover. Wolverhampton regulars apparently fresh off a stint supporting Babes In Toyland, they said about half-way through their punishing set, 'We've been all over the country - it's good to be home'. And it's good to have you back. Their furious blend of Placebo's bitter-sweet melodicism, Deftones-esque blending of discordance with ambience, hardcore punk's fury and nu-metal's knack of writing catchy yet aggressive hooks came together perfectly tonight in a show that laid waste to the audience. In every respect Hyper were on top of the game tonight, their presence commanding both attention and respect along with their obvious tightness as a unit. [9]

All in all, not a bad night out!

NB : Dill would like to thank Linzi for making this review possible - if it hadn't been for her, he wouldn't have got in!

i personally would like to thank Phil (the devil) for reviewing the gig. Hope everyone had fun and will see everyone soon!

Anyone who was at this gig will agree that the night got better as it went on. Aneska came on and gave us a great opening, the sound was a bit dodgy but i gather that was down to lack of sound checking time. WELL DONE GUYS.

Antihero played a tight set that actually impressed me this time. I had seen Antihero play before but did not appreciate their music. This time I stood and enjoyed the set from start to finnish (including the rather dramatic end!) so a big thumbs up there me thinks.

Then came HHGL. SUPERB. Their stage presence had been enhanced by a month on the road and I found it hard to believe that they could be any tighter than the last time I saw them in Wolverhampton but believe me they were TIGHTER than the proverbial virgin.

A great night was had by all.

I saw Aneska Play at the "playground" based on the strength of the review.

All i can say is thanks. I was amazed by the stage show. Its honest and simple yet totaly entertaining.

I spoke to the guys after the show and they seems quite down to earth and have a real passion for the local scene.

Daniel spoke about your idea of a dillfest? Any word on this?

Khaz

...We're playing there (The Playground, better known as The Planet) again on the 27th June with www.bringoutthefreaks.com and a couple of others, one of which includes ex-members of Ned's Atomic Dustbin!

It's only £2, so not a bad deal, I think. Oh, and we're going into the studio to record on Wednesday (12th). Anyone who wants a free CD: all you have to do is beg :)

Sam from Aneska..
aneska_band@hotmail.com