Hypocrisy Albums...HELP

lucifer1126

Aug 19, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hi guys, i'm rather new to Hypocrisy and i thought they're an awesome band. I want to collect all their CD's but don't know which one i should start with and so on...My currect favorite album is the self title one. Could you guys please list your albums most favorite to least favorite so i can take it as an advice before purchasing these cds? Just albums...no MCD or live ones..thanx. I like stuff that's more melodic but the Catch 22 kinda went too far although i do like Pain.

The collection (10 Years of Chaos and Confusion) is the best if you wanna hear little pieces of all what they have done.
Is EXTREMELY hard to put the albums in that kinda order you wanted :)
But I can try...although I have to say it is the list of my feelings TODAY, not in general.
So.

1. Self titled / The Final Chapter ( It´s impossible to tell which one)
2. Abducted
3. Into the Abyss / Catch 22 (again impossible)
4. The Fourth Dimension
5. Penetralia / Osculum Obscenum (these two are in such "bad" place because of Masse´s vox)

Yes, get that 10 Years box, then figure out what you like from there.

Subjectively speaking from today:
1. Abducted
2. s/t
3. The Final Chapter
4. 4th Dimension
5. Into the Abyss
6. Penetralia
7. Catch 22
8. Osculum Obscenum

My promo for the Arrival showed up yesterday, it could be challenging for the #3 spot, but I'm not sure just yet.

If you already have Hypocrisy and Catch-22, then get ABDUCTED and The Final Chapter immediately. Also Into The Abyss and the Fourth Dimension, but you need to IMMEDIATELY pick up Abducted and Final Chapter.

And I still LOVE Osculum Obscenum even with Masse's voice because it's just such a fucking BRUTAL album.

Just like Rob K says you HAVE TO get Abducted and The Final Chapter, specially Abducted because it's the album that defines the "Hypocrisy Sound" I Think.

Then get Fourth Dimension and Into the Abyss and the next month you have to buy The Arrival cause it's GREAT!!!!!!!

About Penetralia and Osculum Obscenum I recommend you to download or borrow them, listen to both and then decide if you buy them cause they are rather different of the actual Hypocrisy, but in the Ten Years Of Chaos and Confusion compilation are songs of those albums re-recorded with the actual sound.

Hi here is my choice,
hope it will help you:
1)ABDUCTED - a masterpiece
2)HYPOCRISY - another masterpiece
3)INTO THE ABYSS - great!especially if you like heavy and speed things.
4)THE FINAL CHAPTER
5)THE 4TH DIMENSION - in my opinion with a great production
6)OBSCULUM OBSCENUM - old style death metal
7)PENETRALIA - just to know their beginning....it's far from the first 5.
8)CATCH 22 - too far from what I want from Hypocrisy

I still have to listen to The Arrival

Stay heavy,THE HAMMER

Thank you guys :) these posts are very helpful to me! currently my favs are turning to hypocrisy and the final chapter, also a lil of into the abyss. i'll listen more to all their albums. plus their new album The arrival is reat too!

I highly suggest you watch your local record store and jump on the new album, "The Arrival" as soon as you possibly can!!!!! This album is phenomenal-one of the best Hypocrisy has EVER done.

Plague Witch said:
I highly suggest you watch your local record store and jump on the new album, "The Arrival" as soon as you possibly can!!!!! This album is phenomenal-one of the best Hypocrisy has EVER done.
Definitely!

Abducted (No discussion.)
Hypocrisy (The one with the most Hypo anthems.)
Catch 22 (A lot of people would tell you that it sucks, but listen for yourself)
The 4th Dimension (the first listenable album in their discography)
Into The Abyss (fast, aggressive, uuuaaaahhh)
The Final Chapter (to me, their most overrated one; I don't like it, though it's many people's favourite)

And steer clear of Penetralia and Osculum Obscenum, they only contain some badly produced C-list Swedish death. There are much better albums if you're into that style.