Rank the Hypocrisy albums!

Doucheman

Dec 9, 2001
Miramichi, NB
Visit site
Man, I'm so psyched to finally have a place to talk about this great band! How would you rank their STUDIO albums? My list would look something like this:

1. Hypocrisy
2. Abducted
3. Catch 22
4. Penetralia
5. Into The Abyss
6. The Final Chapter
7. Osculum Obscenum
8. The Fourth Dimension (this one would be ranked near the top were it not for the dreadful production)

This is not to overlook Hypocrisy Destroys Wacken or 10 Years Of Chaos And Confusion either, which are both outstanding...

1. The final chapter
2. Abducted
3. Hypocrisy
4. Fourth dimension
5. into the abyss
6. penetralia
7. Osculum obscenum

haven't heard catch 22 yet.

1. Abducted : because of it's innovative use of chords, harmonics, & more influence from melodic genres & more "fuzzy" mainstream rock.

2. Hypocrisy : because of it's highly fluid production, amazingly melodic & experimental nature

3. The Final Chapter : for being probably the heaviest non-doom album I have ever heard

4. Into the Abyss : normally, I would put this at a tie with The Fourth Dimension, being that they are relatively similar in idea, although this is produced better, & has a much more mature sound to it.

5. The Fourth Dimension : more mature than thier earlier typical death material, yet relatively simplistic in writing style, & not very good production

6. Osculum Obscenum : typical Floridian death mixed with the early Swedish sound. Basically the same as Penetralia, although slightly heavier & more mature

7. Penetralia : typical death, eh

8. Catch 22 : see my reason on the Catch 22 post

1.The Final Chapter :headbang:
2.Penetralia (Raw)
3.Into the Abyss (A littel return to the early years)
4.Osculum Obscenum (Raw)
5.Abducted
6.Hypocrisy
7.4th Dimension (Nice album....but...yeah)
8.Catch 22 (Me don´t like)

I know I already said this, but if The Fourth Dimension only had a decent production, it would probably be number one for me. I still think that album contains their most concise, haunting compositions and the darkest atmosphere. However, that awful production just renders the songs impotent, in my opinion. And now that they no longer release that CD with the song "The Abyss" on it, I really have no use for it anymore... :(

I thought the 4th Dimension, musically was the worst, but conception-wise was one of the best. And from what I read, Hypocrisy agrees with this.

now you see the depths of my dislike for C-22....

1.Abducted
2.Hypocrisy
3.Osculum Obscenum (special place in my heart)
4.The Final Chapter
5.Penetralia
6.Into the Abyss
7.4th Dimension
:
:
1008. Aaron Carter
1109. Michael Jackson-Thriller
1110. Catch 22

:):):):):)

I'm bored, so I finally decided to reply to this topic.

1.The Fourth Dimension
2.Abducted
3.The Final Chapter
4.Hypocrisy
5.Into The Abyss
6.Catch 22

I haven't heard the first two, but I will buy them someday. Oh yes, I will buy them someday. I don't know why I haven't bought them yet, because old school death metal rules.

Originally posted by Doucheman
Man, I'm so psyched to finally have a place to talk about this great band! How would you rank their STUDIO albums? My list would look something like this:

1. Hypocrisy
2. Abducted
3. Catch 22
4. Penetralia
5. Into The Abyss
6. The Final Chapter
7. Osculum Obscenum
8. The Fourth Dimension (this one would be ranked near the top were it not for the dreadful production)

This is not to overlook Hypocrisy Destroys Wacken or 10 Years Of Chaos And Confusion either, which are both outstanding...

About same that you got, but i change the places of Hypocrisy and 4th Dimension :D

• Abducted
  • Hypocrisy
  • Catch 22
  • The Fourth Dimension
  • Into The Abyss
  • The Final Chapter the worst by far; dunno why so many people seem to like it

I haven't heard neither Penetralia nor Osculum Obscenum.

Followed your advice. Still highly unimpressed. That fast guitar lick on "Adjusting..." is nice, but not enough to make up a good song.
As for the others, "Request Denied" is really good, and "A Coming Race" is quite ok... but that's it then.

Originally posted by King Fear
  • The Final Chapter the worst by far; dunno why so many people seem to like it
I think the Final Chapter is one of the best. It is probably the heaviest album produced by Hypocrisy, & also kept with the experimental nature of Abducted, yet retained alot more traditional death influence than on Abducted. I still say Abducted is better, though.