Hypocrisy - Virus

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Nad, you heard this yet? or anyone for that matter?

Word is that it's their best since the self-titled, but considering it's just better than Catch 22, Into the Abyss, and Arrival, that ain't saying much.

I love these guys, but they left me jaded, and I want my old Hypocrisy back.

yeah, i downloaded it awhile ago, listened a few times, and sorta forgot about it. it's cool, sorta like into the abyss meets abducted maybe? i'll listen right now and see if it's pretty okay.

for a little while there they were one of my favorite bands, but honestly give me abducted, final chapter, and the self-titled and i'm pretty happy.

yeah, this is cool. i think i just need to buy it and give it a serious listen though, it's like the self-titled meets into the abyss. time will tell if it remains awesomely awesome, as i thought that's how the arrival would be but that promo gathered dust on my shelves after a few months.

okay this here song fearless is CLASSIC hypocrisy.

yeah, i'll pick this up eventually. give it a proper listen then.

Been spinning this album again...

After several listens, I tend to think that HALF of this album contains some of their best material since "Final Chapter"...or at least, it's a step up from "The Arrival" so they're back on track.

The other half, however, is average.

I'm not sure how well received this album was in general, but I tend to think people get carried away and cling to the really good songs and forgive the weaker tracks. As with the new Opeth album, I just can't accept that.

As with most "usual suspect" releases in 2005, this is around a 7 or 7.5/10.

By the way, the last track ("Living to Die") which I'm sure most people haven't heard because they tend not to get past the first 2 or 3 tracks is very, very cool. Clean vocals, and the damn catchiest chorus I've heard in a long while.

still haven't heard it, but i'll prolly grab it when i get some samael and the gathering and anathema

if/when i get back on a Hypocrisy kick i'll pick this up. haven't really been in the mood for them for a loooooooong time though.

JayKeeley said:
After several listens, I tend to think that HALF of this album contains some of their best material since "Final Chapter"...or at least, it's a step up from "The Arrival" so they're back on track.

that might be the selling point for me. I thought The Arrival was 5/10 at best and felt people dug it simply because Catch 22 was a shitstain. I'm hoping they've gotten all the Catch 22isms out of their system for Virus.

The Final CHapter is my fave Hypocrisy.

I got the limited edition a week ago. It's a solid record; epic riffing, astonishing vocal performance, great musicianship.... On the other hand, the album have a couple of average songs, as pointed out by Jay. It can be forgiven when considering how good some tunes are.

Since Virus was my initiation to Hypocrisy, I can't really compare with their previous releases.

I give it 8/10.

*forgot to mention, the lyrics are utter crap..bye.

once I was NAD said:
okay this here song fearless is CLASSIC hypocrisy.

yeah, i'll pick this up eventually. give it a proper listen then.
One of my favorite on the album as well. Also, thumbs up to "War Path" and "A Thousand Lies", good stuff.

if that's your first Hypocrisy, you are in for quite a treat with Abducted, The Final Chapter, and the self-titled. seriously.

oh, and Hypocrisy's lyrics are TERRIBLE.

"They'll take your life away
They will push 'til you go insane
Raped, they steal your every heartbeat
Until you fall down dead
They monitor every step you take
And watching all your thoughts
Another small piece in the puzzle, no one cares,
'cause you're being controlled"

:erk:

once I was NAD said:
if that's your first Hypocrisy, you are in for quite a treat with Abducted, The Final Chapter, and the self-titled. seriously.

oh, and Hypocrisy's lyrics are TERRIBLE.

Great, I will check it out!

those aren't bad by Hypocrisy standards. here's one of my favorite gems:

Do you wanna die?
I don't wanna die
Well, you're gonna die

:lol: + :headbang:

this is pretty good and yeah, would fit on final chapter or the self-titled or abducted. and we actually get lyrics with this one! and pictures of horgh without the spiked shin guards and evil clown corpse paint

Let the Knife Do the Talking is an anthem. First time I heard it was live and it was their best song, so maybe that alters my judgement, but it's pretty awesome on the album too. Surprised no one has mentioned it, it's catchy as fuck and if you saw the Nile tour you'll notice that it owns HARD live. That and Fire in the Sky, holy fuck.

i need to revisit some of the older stuffs lke obsculum, penetralie, and into the abyss. maybe the arrival. never ever ever under any circumstance buy catch 22.