Hypothetical question(s) only

In the US they've reached "metal" popularity. People who know metal know the band. Their shirts are on sale at the same stores as bands like Incubus, Tool, or System of A Down. I'd say SX has reached the main stream.

Agreed - I wouldn't call them underground, unless your definition of underground is really loose, like anything less popular than Iron Maiden.

Unfortunately...SX is pretty much where they have been for years...relatively unknown. Which sucks. You would have thought in the 6 years since the origin of this thread...word would have spread alot more & SX would be playing & filling larger venues.

As long as they keep playing good music then it's great that they make the money and become as big as they deserve.

:)

Sure thing
Although the TOP 40, or whatever, can really overkill a song...like they did with Red Hot Chili Peppers here in the Netherlands....
heard it far too much...sad thing :cry:

Greetz

Ahhh, yes, The Netherlands... bringer of the almighty Lemur Voice :headbang:

I do prefer it when bands aren't as well known most of the time, but if they were making the music they're making now, I'd HAVE to be a fan if they were to make it big. In the end, it comes down to the music you like.

Just realized this thread is 6 years old. I never notice these types of things, lol.

I'm from the US and just found Symphony X browsing Youtube and I'm so glad I did... they're sick! I listen to heavy metal mostly and love them. Especially songs like Domination and Serpent's Kiss.. omg...

Any recommendations for me for some of their heavier stuff? I found out about them pretty recently so I don't know much stuff lol

^The songs you mentioned are from their latest album, Paradise Lost (2007). I recommend on getting that one and "The Odyssey" (2002) to start with. Then you can go and check the older albums. They aren't as heavy, but especially The Divine Wings of Tragedy is a must-get for fans of Symphony X.

I'm from the US and just found Symphony X browsing Youtube and I'm so glad I did... they're sick! I listen to heavy metal mostly and love them. Especially songs like Domination and Serpent's Kiss.. omg...

Any recommendations for me for some of their heavier stuff? I found out about them pretty recently so I don't know much stuff lol

Paridise lost album and the odyssey have alot of heavy metalish tunes , but all there albums have some mixed in but for the most part they all have a metal edge to them anyway

You would like songs like Smoke and Mirrors and In the Dragon's Den from there album twilight in olympus , But check out all there stuff is GREAT!
Sorry to say exept for there self titled album , mostly due to a differant singer In my opinion

I say start with Paradise Lost and work backwards from there.

I think you'd have to ask yourself what kind of music they'd be making if they were "mainstream popular". The Chilly Peppers did it.... awesome band but they dumbed it down and went for slower less energetic songs. Of course SymX have some great slower songs, but they'd have to conform to a subconsciously recognisable chord structure or key signature to be accepted by the masses.

Stuff that you've heard before, but sounds totally different. That's the easy road to popularity.

There is of course a way for a band to stay true and become popular. Both Metallica and DT are bridges to other worlds. Metallica into metal, DT into prog. If you build enough bridges you don't have to move.

If they changed their sound and style in order to achieve a more mainstream appeal, i would be less into them as i am now. I like their music for what it is, and changing that for money, would not gain my support.

That being said i would still listen to their back catalogue.

Furthermore, if they stayed exactly the same, producing very entertaining music, and managed to become top 40 mainstream music, i would still love them.