I cannot roll the R

Fenrisúlfr

ὁ δύσκος λύκος
May 14, 2008
США
In the video Olli posted, in order to say 'Turisas' properly, one must roll the R, but try as I might, I cannot do this.

Can anyone tell me how they do this, or does it just occur naturally?

R is a funny sound. It depends a lot on your native language. Unless you learn the sound at a young age, you're stuck whith what your native language has to offer. I started learning English at age 6 and my R is sort of OKish, I started French at 14 and my R is really flimsy.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

well, you can always still learn it if you practice enough...surely it´ll never sound like from a native speaker, but still better than no rolling R at all ;)

Or take singing lessons just to learn the R. :lol: The expensive way.
There's a common warming up exercise where you go like "rrrrrriiii rrrrraaaa rrrrruuuuu"... :rofl: I hate that.

hahaha now that would really be an expensive way of doing it XD
when I started my finnish lessons we were SO forced to learn it...and mine still sounds like...crap XD

Everyone practice your rolling R's: cRRRRRap . . . cRRRRRRRRRRRRRRap . . . cRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRap

Now get a stopwatch and time the length of your roll; then post your result here. Anyone with excessive claims needs to post a vid of the achievement.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

Just practice. Sit there in your bedroom and roll R's on every word you can think of, even if it sounds ridiculous.
When I started learning Swedish, I caught onto rolling the R's very quickly but I may have gotten used to the sound (and I tried to practice it) when I spent time in Finland.

Me neither, when I try it seems to come from the back of my throat rather than with my tongue =/ Makes it harder to insert rrrr's in the middle of words! It just drowns the entire word in 'r'

It's pretty easy if you're from the Netherlands.

Btw, there are 2 ways to roll it.
You can push you're tongue against the back of your teeth and roll it. Or you can push your tongue "up" in your mouth, a little to the back and roll it :)

Like in "perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkele <3" too. :lol:
I have the same problem, but as a bonus, my language DOES contain rolled R's and I also take singing lessons. Doesn't help. :(
I feel incomplete. :( :p

I have the same problem, but I've always had problems with my R's. D: Though I can at least roll my R's when singing classical pieces. Try taking singing lessons. :p That's all I can think of suggesting.

Or move to a country where the native language forces you to roll your R's. Might help a bit.

no, that doesn´t really help - at least not for me. my rolling r ability was okish when I moved here to FIN, and didn´t improve though I did two Finnish courses and try to speak Finnish in my freetime...XD

why dont try tongue twisters!! :D spanish are the best haha
maybe the most popular in my country is:
Erre con erre cigarro,
erre con erre barril.
Rápido corren los carros,
los carros de ferrocarril.

i learnt that one but instead the last 2 sentences was rapido ruedan las ruedas del rapido carro del ferrocarril haha, sorry youtube is blocked so i have no video to show how it is pronunced XD