I Didn't Realize Opeth's Music Was So Hard...

soa_bass

Jun 1, 2007
To figure out by ear.

I figured out Porcelain heart in four days on my bass ( with the help of a keyboard ) and it wasn't too challenging, not as hard as I thought it would be seeing as how it was the first song I had ever figured out by ear.

I decided to get very ambitious and take a try at The Lotus Eater. I started off by making a list of each part and writing down where it starts and stops.

by 1:38 there are 15 parts, 3 of which are different fills, and there is so much going on I got lost haha. I probably won't even get to figuring anything out until Monday ( all of the lab eling and organizing I need to do for this song, + I have a ton of homework ).

Opeth, you really know how to annoy fans trying to figure out your songs

:lol:

good job :kickass:

... taken from a Gigantour online chat event on 09.12.06...

MetalJack: Hey Mikeal, i read that the new Opeth material sounds "twisted", can you tell us any more about it?

Mikael: There's not much written so far, but what I've got sounds technical and twisted and the sort of music that will need a long time to sink in

He warned us!!

By the way, that was a very fulfilling event, from the perspective of a fan. It was un moderated in the moments before Mikael showed up. People were able to catch up on the latest details form the uber-fans and get the stupid questions answered by peers. Then everything was moderated and questions were queued up some how. It was a nice touch. Thanks again for taking the time Mikael. Hope you enjoyed Vegas!

http://forums.gigantour.com/showthread.php?t=3464