Help! What does Opeth's Benighted remind me of??!!

Shell Shock

Aug 2, 2003
More of a question: "what does it remind YOU?" - and yet I said 'me' because I'm sitting here listening to it and can't figure it out.. I'm talking about the melody - it sounds strikingly familiar.. But all I can think of is 'churches', 'night-time', 'cemetery', 'ghosts', etc.... But I can't put it together to find out the actual motive that would sound so close to the song - and yet the song sounds so familiar..

It's so melancholically haunting, too... I didn't need no guy screaming out of the top his lungs some satanistic bullshit.. The lyrics are pretty appropriate, too..

still getting shivers...

Sengir*Buendia said:
That wasn't what he meant...
Shell Shock, it is a personal feeling of yours... Probably related to the first time u heard it... It reminds me of anything special, it's just a beautiful tune.
That's a good way to put it - and yet I still have this feeling that I heard it before.. Somewhere, sometime.. But maybe you're right.. Still, it's kinda like that deja vu shit.. Only, I guess, it would be deja ecoute :)..

Both, Camel's and Opeth's acoustic intros sound similar (though not identical), but I was more talking about the motive, the melody..

some weird shit.. :).

i don't know, but the song rules
it's beautiful
for some reason it used to remind me of "silent lucidity" by queensryche, but not anymore

as for what it reminds me of, it just reminds me of the moment in the whole concept of the album...and it brings back memories of when i first got the album...nostalgia...good days...

It totally paints the picture of the concept of the guy just crying in the night, scared shitless, yet hopelessly depressed, and I think it really captures a depressing climax in Still Life, if you will........Im learning to play it on my acoustic, and if I can sing to it too, I may play it at an open mic one night.