i do not like miike at all

okay maybe i don't hate miike. maybe i hate the people who misinterpret it.

no, maybe i hate miike for making easily misinterpretable stuff and acting cool about it.

Audition and Visitor Q were two of the weirdest/disturbing movies I have ever seen. (besides Eraserhead)

Ichi = blood fountains galore

Kakihara is the cuddliest meanie I've seen in a long while. I love it when he's all acting like a 14-year-old girl at the thought of getting his ass kicked by Ichi. :D

"So you don't want me to cut you into little pieces, because you want me to cut you into little pieces?"
--I think this illustrates, or symbolises if you will, the highly bipolar and somewhat schizophrenic aspects of Japanese culture that often, as is the case in Ichi, manifest themselves in sadomacoshistic behaviour. :Smug:

i think Miike illustrates the aspect of American culture that often manifests with people thinking that mediocre stuff is amazing simply because it's cult and/or Japanese.

i do think some Miike is dece though.

I have to admit you guys might be onto something here. I watched Visitor Q for the 2nd time this weekend and it didn't shake my tree like the 1st time I saw it, and I came close to turning it off.

On the other hand I've watched Lost Highway about a million times and that movie still fucks with me.

I'm gonna make my own damn movie.

xfer said:
i think Miike illustrates the aspect of American culture that often manifests with people thinking that mediocre stuff is amazing simply because it's cult and/or Japanese.

i do think some Miike is dece though.

'xactly. Overglorification of the nips. Classic films aside, my interest in Japanese films resides solely in the difference in boundaries over there. I don't think I'd watch Visitor Q again, I got the point. Audition I'll watch again under the right circumstances, but Ichi I can tirelessly re-watch. I mean, you just can't find that level of nipple-slicing or cheek-pulling goodness over here.