I don't understand this band at all

Huh... according to the Stuck Mojo forum, Mojo and Volbeat are still touring together, but Volbeat is not playing the UK... which follows a previous post from Rich Ward that indicates both bands share the same EU management, and that it was Volbeat's idea for Mojo to headline in the UK with Volbeat as support... Either way, Volbeat as a collective sounds crazier and more disorganized by the minute...

I'm not at all open minded about rap vocals myself. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I don't believe the two styles belong together

Well, I don't think there is any point whatsoever in singing like the cookie monster. The same message and emotion can be gotten across by just singing it so that it can actually be understood.

I just remember this ridiculous troll who's every post was that Stuck Mojo and the members were the most talented band ever, for like a year on a few diff forums, so now being scarred, i'll never even give the band the time of day :lol:

I'm not at all open minded about rap vocals myself. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I don't believe the two styles belong together

Well, I don't think there is any point whatsoever in singing like the cookie monster. The same message and emotion can be gotten across by just singing it so that it can actually be understood.

Hell fuckin' yeah! I 2nd that X's infinity & 1
!:headbang: Learn to sing, or shut the fuck up & leave the mic for somone who can! Takes way more talent to sing like say Nils, Tony Kakko, or the like, then to "ROW, ROH, RAW, RAHHH, RAH, RAH, RAHH!!!!"

Sounds like they gargled w/battery acid & razorblades & then went in to "sing" an album! I can't tell one song from another, or 'growler' from another. Wher as I hear say Nils's voice, or Kakko's, or Matt Barlow, & I KNOW immediately who & what band it is! & for the most part, I don't need to view the CD book to understand most of what they are saying/singing!

Hell fuckin' yeah! I 2nd that X's infinity & 1
!:headbang: Learn to sing, or shut the fuck up & leave the mic for somone who can! Takes way more talent to sing like say Nils, Tony Kakko, or the like, then to "ROW, ROH, RAW, RAHHH, RAH, RAH, RAHH!!!!"

Sounds like they gargled w/battery acid & razorblades & then went in to "sing" an album! I can't tell one song from another, or 'growler' from another. Wher as I hear say Nils's voice, or Kakko's, or Matt Barlow, & I KNOW immediately who & what band it is! & for the most part, I don't need to view the CD book to understand most of what they are saying/singing!

Wow...you are stupid as shit.
Most people who don't listen to power/prog metal can't tell the difference between all of the generic "oh I cut my balls off so I can sing in this band" singers. Learning to do harsh vocals is incredibly difficult, and tbh I can think of many harsh vocalists with better range than most clean singers. Most singers in this genre stay restricted to either highs or lows, and no in betweens. Harsh vocalists go from high, low, and anywhere else.

I'd really like to see you even attempt to do it without fucking up your throat. Doing it night after night for years, and even decades in some cases, without causing much vocal damage is quite a skill.

Don't blame the vocalists because you aren't knowledgeable enough to tell the difference between them. If you really can't tell the difference between Ihsahn, Mikael Akerfeldt, and Abbath, then I really doubt you're even a fan of metal music because you're obviously quite deaf and can't hear it in the first place.

Mojo transcend all other rap metal bands. I think people who don't like rap would be surprised if they listened to one of their albums especially "Declaration of a headhunter" That shitz dope!

I have to join in the worship of Declaration of a Headhunter. I am a long time Stuck Mojo fan, but Dec of a Headhunter kicks my ass everytime. It is brutal and melodic at the same time. One of my favorite albums ever. Anyone who hasn't heard it must give it a listen. It is less rap than the previous albums (which were still heavy as Hell) and just an amazing progression forward IMO. Stuck Mojo is the only rap/metal band I have ever liked and they stand far apart from the radio-loved "rap metal" bands, e.g., Linkin Park.

I'd really like to see you even attempt to do it without fucking up your throat. Doing it night after night for years, and even decades in some cases, without causing much vocal damage is quite a skill.

Amen to that.

Don't blame the vocalists because you aren't knowledgeable enough to tell the difference between them. If you really can't tell the difference between Ihsahn, Mikael Akerfeldt, and Abbath, then I really doubt you're even a fan of metal music because you're obviously quite deaf and can't hear it in the first place.

While I agree with the general point of this, "deaf" is a bit extreme. I do like growls/grunts/whatever you wanna call them, and sure I can tell the difference between Akerfeldt, Swanö and (checks wikipedia for the correct spelling....) Tägtgren. But that's because I'm interested, so I pay attention.

Grindcore for example doesnt do anything for me, so all bands sound the same to my ears. Same for any kind of Rap/RnB/any "urban" stuff, it all sounds the same to me. It's all a matter of interest.

Just my 2cents.

Wow....I rarely will chime in on crap like this but that is just an outright ignorant statement. Fact is that some one who does not like all sub-genres of metal , certainly does not make them any less a fan of metal music or music at all which would seem to be the next logical step according to that statement.

Now the original post, certainly was no piece or artistic criticism either.

With that said....

I personally have no interest in 90% of harsh vocals but that certainly does not make me deaf as I have quite the ear....and yes, most harsh vocals sound way too similar to me. There is little uniqueness in bands that rely solely on harsh vocals (from a vocal standpoint). To that though, in reality, absolute uniqueness is few and far between no matter the vocal style though I have to agree that using a harsh vocal style limits the musical range and emotion of the artist more so than a standard vocal.

I am not saying there is not a talent involved in performing this style but overall I think it is overused and bores me to death more times than not, though there are places and bands that use them quite effectively (whether i like them or not is a different story).

I personally have no interest in 90% of harsh vocals but that certainly does not make me deaf as I have quite the ear....and yes, most harsh vocals sound way too similar to me. There is little uniqueness in bands that rely solely on harsh vocals (from a vocal standpoint). To that though, in reality, absolute uniqueness is few and far between no matter the vocal style though I have to agree that using a harsh vocal style limits the musical range and emotion of the artist more so than a standard vocal.

See, this bothers me a lot when people say this because it's flat out untrue. I used to LOVE death metal and black metal, listened to the most generic crap and lots of it. There are a ton of horrible growlers and grunters, just as there are a ton of horrible clean vocalists. I now listen to almost no death metal because, as you mentioned, most of it is very boring and generic. But i think it does a disservice to lump everyone who does this style as far as saying using only harsh vocals limits the emotional range in one group. There are many vocalists out there who are not only distinct, but diverse and incredibly emotive (besides anger) with their vocals.

I will say that 90% of the time, i'll agree with you. It takes skill to do it well, but most people don't do it well IMO. But when it is done well, it really is amazing.

But i think it does a disservice to lump everyone who does this style as far as saying using only harsh vocals limits the emotional range in one group. There are many vocalists out there who are not only distinct, but diverse and incredibly emotive (besides anger) with their vocals.

Do not mean to do a disservice to those who are genuinely unique and diverse as there are some that I do like. In general though, especially to the casual listener, I believe the 90% rule applies.

Do not mean to do a disservice to those who are genuinely unique and diverse as there are some that I do like. In general though, especially to the casual listener, I believe the 90% rule applies.

I'll actually agree with this then. At first I was thinking "wtf is up with this dude" haha, but in all honesty, even as a fan of some harsh vocals, most of the stuff is boring and generic.

Wow....I rarely will chime in on crap like this but that is just an outright ignorant statement. Fact is that some one who does not like all sub-genres of metal , certainly does not make them any less a fan of metal music or music at all which would seem to be the next logical step according to that statement.

Now the original post, certainly was no piece or artistic criticism either.

With that said....

I am not saying there is not a talent involved in performing this style but overall I think it is overused and bores me to death more times than not, though there are places and bands that use them quite effectively (whether i like them or not is a different story).

Maybe I was a little too harsh in my original post. But this wasn't a matter of not liking a certain subgenres. I'm not a huge fan of doom metal myself, so I wouldn't criticize someone else for not enjoying death or black. The guy said that the vocals take absolutely no talent, which is what I commented on. Not that he doesn't like them.

While I agree with the general point of this, "deaf" is a bit extreme. I do like growls/grunts/whatever you wanna call them, and sure I can tell the difference between Akerfeldt, Swanö and (checks wikipedia for the correct spelling....) Tägtgren. But that's because I'm interested, so I pay attention.

I won't deny that there are a lot of similar sounding growlers, just like there are a lot of similar sounding clean singers. But to say they all sound the same is just ignorant. I honestly think that someone who isn't even paying attention can tell the difference between Ihsahn (high banshee screams) and Akerfeldt (low death growls). It's like the difference between King Diamond and Barry White.