I don't understand this band at all

I won't deny that there are a lot of similar sounding growlers, just like there are a lot of similar sounding clean singers. But to say they all sound the same is just ignorant. I honestly think that someone who isn't even paying attention can tell the difference between Ihsahn (high banshee screams) and Akerfeldt (low death growls). It's like the difference between King Diamond and Barry White.

That's why I picked 3 growlers that are in the same range ;)

I'm not at all open minded about rap vocals myself. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I don't believe the two styles belong together

Well, I don't think there is any point whatsoever in singing like the cookie monster. The same message and emotion can be gotten across by just singing it so that it can actually be understood.

Hell fuckin' yeah! I 2nd that X's infinity & 1
!:headbang: Learn to sing, or shut the fuck up & leave the mic for somone who can! Takes way more talent to sing like say Nils, Tony Kakko, or the like, then to "ROW, ROH, RAW, RAHHH, RAH, RAH, RAHH!!!!"

Sounds like they gargled w/battery acid & razorblades & then went in to "sing" an album! I can't tell one song from another, or 'growler' from another. Wher as I hear say Nils's voice, or Kakko's, or Matt Barlow, & I KNOW immediately who & what band it is! & for the most part, I don't need to view the CD book to understand most of what they are saying/singing!

I know I'm not well liked around these parts anymore so I'm just going to make this one post and be done because I was so e-disgusted with such e-ignorance ::shakes e-fist in the air::

If you think rapping is the same thing as growling you need to get your head and ears examined because something is VERY, VERY wrong. Secondly, most real, undergound hip hop is equal or better in talent than most metal. Using 50 Cent or Kanye West as an example for hip hop would be like me using Korn or Slipknot as an example for metal. Obviously the good stuff isn't the crap being pushed to millions of little suburbanite kids.

With respect to growling: the entire "growling requires no talent whereas singing does" argument should have died out 20 years ago. It makes me chuckle every time someone says "anybody can listen to Matt Barlow or Nils Rue and know it's him". That might be true (although, one could say that most of these modern power metal vocalists just stole their act from Halford, Tate, and Dickinson.. believe me the argument has been made plenty of times) but these are TWO or THREE vocalists being name-dropped by nerds as they ignore a sea of unoriginal and talentless "singers" out there. It doesn't take talent to sing at all, especially in this day and age where vocals can be digitally tuned. There are talented singers and there are talented growlers, but the artform itself doesn't require some special skill that only a Bosnian dog catcher who's three sons died in a fire as your best friend to master. Anyone can do it. That's the whole point of rock and roll, is it not?

Where's the special "talent" in singing anyway? The act of raising or lowering one's voice to meet a specific key or pitch is an ability every human is equipped with. The whole concept of growling is that it reinforces the agressiveness of the music. Just because "anyone can do it" doesn't mean it doesn't have a purpose.

What about Tom Waits? Is he "untalented" because he doesn't sing like a pre-teen popstar? Don't make me laugh.

I'm the last person to make any "metal cred" statement, as the genre is becoming less interesting as a whole in my eyes, but you should be ashamed. Very ashamed.

Oh and for you armchair quarterbacks, here are Volbeat's tourdates for the fall thanks to a simple visit to Myspace.

Oct 8 2008 8:00P
La Scene Bastille Paris (FR)
Oct 9 2008 8:00P
Paradiso Amsterdam (NL)
Oct 10 2008 8:00P
Grosse Freiheit 36 Hamburg (DE)
Oct 11 2008 8:00P
Hof ter lo Antwerpen (BE)
Oct 13 2008 8:00P
Lucky&Co Podium Rijssen (NL)
Oct 14 2008 8:00P
Capitol Offenbach (NL)
Oct 20 2008 8:00P
Backstage Werk Muenchen (DE)
Oct 21 2008 8:00P
Z7 Pratteln (CH)
Oct 22 2008 8:00P
La Laiterie Strasbourg (Fr)
Oct 23 2008 8:00P
E-Werk Cologne (DE)
Oct 24 2008 8:00P
Columbia Club Berlin (DE)
Oct 25 2008 8:00P
Halle Gartlage Osnabrueck (DE)
Nov 5 2008 8:00P
Store Vega Copenhagen (DK)
Nov 6 2008 8:00P
Gimble Roskilde (DK)
Nov 7 2008 8:00P
Train Aarhus (DK)
Nov 8 2008 8:00P
Tobakken Esbjerg (DK)
Nov 9 2008 8:00P
Toender Kulturhus Toender (DK)
Nov 12 2008 8:00P
Godset Kolding (DK)
Nov 13 2008 8:00P
Studenterhuset Aalborg (DK)
Nov 14 2008 8:00P
Det Musiske Hus Frederikshaven (DK)
Nov 15 2008 8:00P
Fermaten Herning (DK)
Nov 19 2008 8:00P
Viften Roedovre (DK)
Nov 20 2008 8:00P
Slagelse Musikhus Slagelse (DK)
Nov 21 2008 8:00P
Nakskov Idraetscenter Nakskov (DK)
Nov 28 2008 8:00P
Magasinet Odense (DK)
Nov 29 2008 8:00P
Kongrescenter Ringsted (DK)

The tour is still going on, it was only the UK dates that were confused. You guys need to learn to read/stop making a big deal over nothing.

...Where's the special "talent" in singing anyway? The act of raising or lowering one's voice to meet a specific key or pitch is an ability every human is equipped with...

:zombie:

By your reasoning, talent is an imaginary word.

And just matching your voice to pitch isn't singing ... it surely isn't good singing anyway. It's one thing to hit the note, but another thing entirely to sing the note.

:zombie:

By your reasoning, talent is an imaginary word.

There certainly isn't a universal authority on talent. That's for sure. It's something reflective of opinion, so technically yeah it's an imaginary word. And no there's not much more to signing than that. Of course I'm a fan of it, but really it's simply an ability we are all equipped with. We might think some singers are better than others, but that really doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. And before anyone throws a hissyfit, my comment about rap being on par or better to metal is indeed my opinion and not fact. My point is that just like with metal, the good stuff is in the underground and is pretty different from what's in the mainstream.

I'm the last person to make any "metal cred" statement, as the genre is becoming less interesting as a whole in my eyes, but you should be ashamed. Very ashamed.

Lol.. I know who Abbath is, if only for the silly makeup, but I honestly have no idea what band he's in, nor care. As for the other guys, I probably haven't heard of the bands they're in at all.

Lol.. I know who Abbath is, if only for the silly makeup, but I honestly have no idea what band he's in, nor care. As for the other guys, I probably haven't heard of the bands they're in at all.

Ihsahn = Emperor
Mikael Akerfeldt = Opeth
Abbath = Immortal

fairly well known if you ask me

I just remember this ridiculous troll who's every post was that Stuck Mojo and the members were the most talented band ever, for like a year on a few diff forums, so now being scarred, i'll never even give the band the time of day :lol:

+1.

I remember him too. Mojomydog or something like that, I think.

But, yeah, I very rarely like rap vocals in a metal/hard rock setting.

I do like growls, though, to cover just about everything else that has been said.