i guess we haven't talked about KATLA yet

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
if like me you're STILL salty that sólstafir kicked out their original drummer then you probably know of the band he started afterwards

and i always WANTED to like katla but i just don't think the material has been very strong so far

but i just found out they released an album in 2020 and i think this is actually a lot better than all the older stuff i've heard

it seems more varied, heavier and more inspired than the old stuff

and it's a hell of a lot more interesting than the past couple of sólstafir records at any rate

Last edited:
Agreed! The first album had some great themes but it really fell short in the songwriting department. I couldn't get into it. I've only heard one song from the 2nd album and it was a little more appealing to my personal taste. I've been meaning to check it out since the release date... I'm feeling motivated to make that happen this weekend.

RIP the only true Solstafir drummer. I mean the new guy is "fine" (it's not his fault), but it'll never be the same. Also, is it just me or has Prophecy been putting out a ton of really boring bullshit for the last few years?

Kinda neato.

Although this type of modern/clean ______ metal needs more windchime.

Also, is it just me or has Prophecy been putting out a ton of really boring bullshit for the last few years?

Not just you bro. Prophecy's fall from their early streak of brilliant signings has been brutal and seems endless. They still sign the good stuff now and then though. Stille Volk, Kayo Dot... and I heard they did Magma too, they're really opening up now but at the same time, look at this fucking crap...

Just an example, it's probably their worst band but they have dozens of these useless post whatever metal clones too

to be honest, prophecy is not new to signing a bunch of pretty forgettable stuff (raise yr hand if you remember mysterium)

i remember for the longest time they had a huge €1 section on their webstore with failed releases they probably had boxes of in the warehouse, and sometimes they sent them out free with their orders

so i have a bunch of paragon of beauty and autumnblaze and blazing eternity and no regrets, i love myself some shaky 90's german goth metal but it seemed like they were eternally trying to sign the next empyrium and not really ever getting it quite right

i like the label in theory but how many truly classic releases have they really put out

I still think that the first Autumnblaze and Blazing Eternity albums are solid but yeah, youthful fanboyism factors heavily into the equation and I'm aware that many of the early 2000s relases I used to spin a lot (Mysterium idd, Nox Mortis) don't look that good anymore in retrospect.

As for classics, I think Tenhi's discography applies. The short-lived Drawn with an ex-In the Woods... dude still is a personal favorite (anyone besides me ever listened to this band?). Also I'm thankful that they picked up Elend for their second trilogy.

yeah i have both the drawn ep and the album, i think they were pretty alright and certainly totally overlooked today because no one talks about them ever

this is a fav

but certainly they were not anywhere near as good as itw lets not kid ourselves

sólstafir is one of those bands where I'll check out everything around them. Surprised I haven't heard this. really digging it.

"Masterpiece of Bitterness" is a top 5 metal album for me. "Kold" is excellent, "Svartir Sandar" is really good, and then it just goes completely downhill from there.

"I Blodi Og Anda" is fine, but the vocals DEFINITELY suck and the band wasn't very dialed in back then.

Not just you bro. Prophecy's fall from their early streak of brilliant signings has been brutal and seems endless. They still sign the good stuff now and then though. Stille Volk, Kayo Dot... and I heard they did Magma too, they're really opening up now but at the same time, look at this fucking crap...

Just an example, it's probably their worst band but they have dozens of these useless post whatever metal clones too

Holy fuck! I can't believe they would put their name on that. What a horrible song. I'm actually offended by that band's entire aesthetic. The last time I spoke with Mr. John Haughm, I was showing him some of my new songs and asking his opinion about finding a potential label. He essentially said, "Well, there's always Prophecy but they're signing any garbage band they can get their hands on right now". Guess he was correct.

Reactions: Ellestin
the more i listen to the katla album the better it gets

all killers, no fillers -- it's the rare case of a 65 minute album that i will listen to straight through and then press play again

it's varied and creative and a really good blend of 90's synth-infused doom and black metal, the icelandic post-everything vibe that solstafir was known for, and some carefully integrated more modern black metal elements

very solid shit and i'm sad to see it looks like it's made very little of an impact on the sCeNe

Will have to listen to the album in full. Those two tracks did little to roust my soul.

Drawn is fucking fantastic.

Perchshit didnt offend me like the rest of yus. Probably shouldnt be on Prophecy, but perhaps this shit has a market nowadays? Im legit clueless to what the kiddies are in to nowadays. Is any variant of metal even popular in the slightest outside of geezer bands with geezers? How many bands comprised of twenty or even thirty somethings can rustle a sizable crowd nowadays? Last band was probably Agalloch before they disbanded.

Whats popular?

Solstafir would like to think theyre popular, but they can barely get 300 people to their gigs. I know, I was one of em. Good tunes, but the band is a visual eye sore with this whole Icelandic Mick Jagger shit they got going on. Button up your shirts and play sissies. I can see why they ousted little drummer boy, dude probably wasnt up for pelvic thrusts inbetwixt cross sticking.

Puhleeze

Kold fucking slays, and MoB will carry on as a nostalgia piece associated with certain events in my life.

This post sucks worst than Porchshit, let them live. :err: