Old Mayhem VS New Mayhem

Erik said:
The last bit I worked out because "Freezing Moon" is arguably the compositionally weakest song on DMDS, and yet you like it best despite thinking Mayhem has poor songwriting. Which leaves me :err:.

Ignoring that Mayhem were anything but mediocre around DMDS, they can't? I would have thought bands could pick and choose the most interesting bits from bands that are otherwise not great -- someone can take general influence from, say, a generally mediocre band like Venom and turn it into something compositionally superior.

Freezing Moon is hardly the weakest, although it's hardly a masterpiece. The whole album is compositionally weak, but that song has a cool atmosphere methinks.

I don't respect Mayhem because they were idiots and lacked musical skill, regardless of their influence.

VIVIsectVI said:
I think Mayhem were terrible when they first started and they're terrible now. Although admittedly, DMDS *is* a good album, they havent made anything half as good since, the whole black metal thing is incredibly "poseur" now, reduced to a collection of fannies wearing makeup and warbling half-assed philosophies about how great satan is. The only half-decent black metal is Burzum in my opinion.

I feel like recommending you Deathspell Omega because they're *true* Satanists and have an actual philosophy on the matter.

... and without doubt DMDS is a large part of what made Deathspell Omega what they are today. What makes you think Dead (For an example) was really a cuddly guy who just happened to step on the shotgun one day? Follow the freezing moon.

I don't fucking care, I've already said this. I UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH FUCKING GODDAMN INFLUENCE THEY'VE HAD I JUST DON'T LIKE THEM DROP IT NOW PLEASE. JESUS CHRIST YOU FUCKING BLACK METAL FANS FUSFDTGUITH.

GoD said:
I sincerely hope you don't think I do.
Well, what do you mean?

I like Maniac simply because he's destroyed a lot of the respect Mayhem undeservedly had in the first place.
Actually, for me that's part of it as well. :lol:

Freezing Moon is hardly the weakest, although it's hardly a masterpiece. The whole album is compositionally weak, but that song has a cool atmosphere methinks.
Actaully, I also enjoy the atmosphere on the title track and on Funeral Fog, but to each their own. The album is compositionally weak.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
I don't fucking care, I've already said this. I UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH FUCKING GODDAMN INFLUENCE THEY'VE HAD I JUST DON'T LIKE THEM DROP IT NOW PLEASE. JESUS CHRIST YOU FUCKING BLACK METAL FANS FUSFDTGUITH.
I actually think that sums most of it up for me, as well.

Erik said:
What am I supposed to say? The album is not compositionally weak!
Ah, but it is not composiitonally strong either! I just decided to go the full distance and say it's weak, because in comparison to several releases of its time, the album pales in comparison so shoddily. Releases by Darkthrone and Burzum in the previous years show intense detail to create a pyrely minimalist atmosphere and slowly developing hypnotic themes through repeated phrasing and blurry distortion, creating a succulent whirlwind effect. Mayhem were still rooted in the lame-ass rock n' roll mode mixed with some quasi-grindcore tendencies. Some songs, like the title track, would unveil a sweet riff at the beginning, only to lose it as the track progressed as some mishmosh of attempting to gain the minimalist atmosphere, but failing through arrogant and unnecessary chord changes, lousy vocals, and last of all, few inspiring passages. The breakdown at about 3:00 into the song contains a melodic phrase that is nice at first, but grating and meaningless after only a few seconds. The title track may not be a great example, but it's one of the few sogns from the album I actauly like, because of that riff in the beginning, and the ending isn't contrived or BS. All's well that ends well. However, it's no masterpiece of composiiton. It's not even average. Nothing grips at your soul, and that is what a well-executed BM piece should do.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Well, what do you mean?

The ability to write good music.

Actaully, I also enjoy the atmosphere on the title track and on Funeral Fog, but to each their own.

I like the way the title-track begins. That's the problem though, there are parts of various songs that are quite decent, but the songs as a whole aren't. Like I said before though, Funeral Fog is quite cool.

GoD said:
I like the way the title-track begins. That's the problem though, there are parts of various songs that are quite decent, but the songs as a whole aren't. Like I said before though, Funeral Fog is quite cool.
I agree totally.