I hate being hungry all the time

Öwen;9952319 said:
Nah, I'm interested, go on. I just thought it was an interesting theory as I'd attest to breakfast never making me feel more awake or alert - although that is purely anecdotal.
Basically that article has a large number of facts taken way out of context. For instance in your quote, fight or flight reaction to stress is mostly down to genetic inheritance of behaviour (before anyone pipes in with genes don't effect our behaviour, please read 'The Selfish Gene') and applies to the Evolutionary Stable Strategy (ESS) of a species. Which is an expressed behavioural strategy, which is stable and resists invasion from other strategies. The article you quoted however uses fight or flight stress pressure out of context, applying the biochemical response to threat or stress to waking up and not being able to eat. What the article is implying is that your body is automatically responding to an absent threat when you wake up, preparing you for the possibility of a threat through biochemical reactions. Which in theory is perfectly plausible that those reactions are taking place due to a threat, however on that line of thought, it would be reasonable to assume that logically we should function that way all the time, correct? Being in a state of hyper-awareness all the time must be beneficial, well it is arguable that when we wake up, we are simply respiring from stored energy, like when we sleep, until we find a food source, not responding to immediate threat. As responding to threat also generates many other biochemical reactions in the body, all of which they fail to mention due to the incompatibility with their theory. It would actually be significantly more relevant to refer to the circadian rhythm here as it relates to production of hormones during different points of the 24 hour cycle. One of the reasons for your morning wood :lol:

A lot of research suggests that actually breakfast should consist of a large amount of protein and polysaccharide sugars (carbs), which then leads to a slower release of sugars.

Another point, which is relevant to this thread is that if you don't have a drink while eating your meal, you will stave off hunger for much longer. This is because the fluid you consume with your meal will stretch the stomach more than if you drank no fluid at all, added to the fact that fluid is taken from the stomach before solids, this leaves you feeling hungry as the overall volume of nutrients in your stomach has decreased while your stomach stays the same size, triggering a hunger signal. A way around this is blending your food and adding water, or drinking either an hour before or after your meal. A BIG NOTE: the above point is not dietary advice, just a scientific observation of bodily function and how hunger can be suppressed.

Also to note, if you eat an hour or so before going to bed, you wake up much less aware and alert than if you hadn't. Hopefully that was helpful, it's difficult to go into too much more detail without it becoming an essay and touching on biological processes that are confusing without sufficient prior knowledge.

With what your are eating and you are still hungry, I would tend to look at dietary deficiency’s, hyper thyroid condition, and intestinal parasites.

I used to hate breakfast, until I realized i was lactose intolerant and the milk in my cereal made me feel sick. Now I need breakfast. I'm not a nutritionist but it's pretty important to "break your fast". 8 hours is a long time to go without eating. Weight lifters get up in the middle of the night to eat to make sure their body doesn't starve.

Can you elaborate? I'll often shower, eat something and go straight to bed.
I basically alters your circadian rhythm slightly, so that sleep hormones such as Melatonin will be effecting you slightly more than they otherwise should. Thus waking up groggy, less alert, and tired.

So you absolutely MUST adhere to eating this frequently?
Eating smaller, frequent meals is actually far worse for satiety (from my own and many many other people's anecdotal evidence) and studies have shown this to be true.
I actually prefer not eating in the morning at all if I can avoid it, and then just slamming down 3 larger, high protein meals during the afternoon, evening and night and no surprise.
I've found this quite effective in curbing the annoying feeling of hunger.

middle ground between you two is the best i believe

I not surprised at all you feel like that. All that bread is your problem. Don't let the whole wheat thing fool you, that stuff will make your blood sugar spike almost as bad, if not just as bad as that white stuff. Basically all you're eating protean and sugar. Get rid of the bread, two slices a day max. Eat way more veg (not potatoes) especially leafy green things. You know the rest.

+1 to the vegs thing