I Hate Reverb!

TheBlackSheep

Dec 30, 2008
I don't know why i can't apply reverb to drums because my mixes fall apart. I need help in this department. It's not about how much reverb i apply, is more like the bad sound i get with the reverb. Anyone knows about a reverb tutorial or something? :erk:

This is what i do:

e.g.

Snare Track

-EQ
-Comp
-EQ

Snare Reverb (Fx Track)
Reverb
EQ (HP @ 180hz-250hz)

My reverb channel goes usually like this because if you don't remove the presence from the reverb it usually goes bananas and just masks everything into big pile of shit:

eq
de-esser
reverb
eq

and if you remove early reflections from the reverb, it usually makes the reverbs sound a lot better.

if you don't remove the presence from the reverb it usually goes bananas and just masks everything into big pile of shit

I think thats exactly the problem. This is really frustrating me. Thanks a lot for your quick response ahjteam!.

are you guys using your reverb on an insert or send?

if you're having a lot of issues with the sound of the reverb on an insert, try it on a send instead - this way you can EQ the reverb track as needed to get rid of any crap frequencies

Freeverb2 for ERs, then either another instance of that or an impulse (Drum Room from the Bricasti IRs is a great one) for LRs. Done.

Only annoying thing is Freeverb2 doesnt seem to have delay compensation so its automatically got like a 50ms predelay which makes it annoying for ERs. Usually just duplicate the track and nudge it back a bit instead of putting it to a send.

Short plate on send. Been using the UAD Plate 140 for this lately.

Another way to get a more roomy sound is to
parallell compress the room mic or OH really hard.
This tends to bring out the sound of the room more.
Be careful about it though :)

its all about getting the predelay right.
About 21Ms ish is where im usually at.. The HAAS effect is your friend

predelay around 20ms

to be honest, with reverbs the algorithms of different reverbs make such a difference so try out a few and learn the differences. For a lot of metal stuff, the dirtier more obvious reverbs work well, sometimes you may need to exaggerate the midrange in them to get them to poke out more (try around 400Hz). For a quick starting point, try some plate reverbs/impulses for snare.

i used to use 2 reverbs - one for early reflections and one for late, although these days im using redlines reverb which can do both and has a slider. I'd really recommend trying that one out, probably my favourite reverb plugin right now and there is a 60 day demo.

tbh your best bet is to try out as many different reverbs as you can and learn what the knobs do - different mixes call for different things and its about learning what to look for.

1)create aux/FX track

2)send original track to aux track

3)apply reverb to aux track

4)blend with original track

???

^^^ no a little more on what type of reverbs to use, what would be a basic starting point when adding reverb to a snare, how would you EQ the reverb, what would the effect of a plate reverb be as opposed to a hall reverb or something along these lines.

^^^ no a little more on what type of reverbs to use, what would be a basic starting point when adding reverb to a snare, how would you EQ the reverb, what would the effect of a plate reverb be as opposed to a hall reverb or something along these lines.

I'd be pretty stoked about a tutorial as well. I'm never very happy with the reverb in my mixes and I'm not sure if it's the plugins I'm using or the way that I'm using them, and as a result I tend to mix really dry.