I have just received ... in the mail! Post pics of your new treasures!

Listen man, you can get as intellectual about it as you want, but what it sounds like to me is that you simply don't care for the bands. Nothing wrong there, but all you're saying bad about them is something completely taste oriented. Personally, I'd put my money on Tosin as a "dynamic player" over Steve Vai, Pretrucci, Gilbert, Malmstien, Batio, any of those dudes. Also, on the Portal note, we should stop arguing about that cuz I really haven't heard enough of them to form a solid opinion. Their sound I thought was unique, but you may be right about their shredding being completely generic.

So, now it boils down to the AAL debate. Yes, Tosin overplays, but I believe he does it in a refined way that suites each song well. You obviously disagree, however, you lack objective evidence to classify his music ANDor playing as un-dynamic.

Listen, I may have said this before on here, but my family has had careers as classical musicians for generations, and I am a classically trained musician. I'm not saying I'm better at anything, I'm just saying I know dynamics. Trust me. I even know the Italian names for a shit ton of them.

So some advise in the future, be careful not to mistake your personal music preference with objectivity.

S Any kid can sit and learn to shred over time. It's not that complicated.
Really? Then why isn't everyone doing it? Cuz it seems to me 99.9% of kids who try to become shredders fail miserably. Just look on youtube. (I'm one of them haha)

So reciting ascending scales as fast as possible over a generic blast beat is taking things to a whole new sonic level? What exactly are these guys doing that hasn't been done before? Maybe it's their great use of palm muted power chords or total lack of phrasing. You obviously not the ear for great musicians (no offense). Any kid can sit and learn to shred over time. It's not that complicated. Being creative on the other hand is something you're either born with or not. Great musicians are well rounded and dynamic. These guys are anything but. Truly great bands aren't confined to genres and most certainly aren't confined to one song with practically the same tempo and feel. As for that Tosin guy, well he is a dynamic player, but he does opt for showmanship over what's best for the song at times. Look, I'll take a well thought out solo or lead with feel over shredding any day. I thought most of us Katatonia fans understood this ...

I think overtime you'll understand that to build an interesting story, first you need to understand dynamics. You can't climax the entire time, you can't have nonstop action, you can't scream at the top of your lungs an entire record. All these things are fine, but they have their very specific place and time. Anything can become monotonous and lose all impact if there's no other point of reference. I know what I say will have a knee jerk reaction so let the flood of flames come as they may. Me arguing further would be a complete waste of time. I think as time goes by at least a little of what I said will seep in.
Generic blast beats? come on, have you even taken the time to listen to those bands?

@Brave:You have a tendency to misread what I write. I said Tosin is a dynamic player. I wouldn't listen to AaL on a daily basis, but I do hear things I like as I said before. Yes, I too like his playing better than the other players you just mentioned as well.

I don't have to check Youtube. It does take a certain amount of dedication, but it's not an inherent skill. It all comes down to learning certain techniques. If you sit there with a metronome woodshedding then you're going to be able to pull these things off. Let me also just say that a lot that appears complicated is often a lot easier than you probably think. On the flip side sometimes the most unimpressive sounding stuff is the hardest to master. In the end it should be about whatever sounds good, not what's the hardest to pull off.

Generic blast beats? come on, have you even taken the time to listen to those bands?
Are you listening to all the nuances from drum performances? Are you analyzing all the rudimentary work, accents, grace notes, etc. etc? No? Then what exactly are you basing this on? If you want to argue then fine, but give me something to actually work with.

Band as in singular, but if we're talking blast beats in general there's no real variation to them. The whole style is extremely straight forward including their choice of fills. Very linear stuff, which is more of an endurance test than anything. Really if you want to spaz out with a blast beat on a rare occasion then by all means knock yourself out, but don't become painfully predictable with it.

I've come to the epiphany that some people simply enjoy mac & cheese so much so that it's all they want to eat. I will say there's a plethora of other foods to expand your taste buds. You can choose to heed the advice or not. It's entirely up to you.

Look at me continuing this when I said I wouldn't. Just can't help my damn self. :lol: *Feel free to pm me if you want to converse further. I'd prefer not to derail this thread any more so.

Bought last Saturday:

HP%20Pavilion%20dv6-3030sd.JPG

hp-pavilion-dv6.jpg

HP Pavilion DV6-3030SD laptop.

@Brave:You have a tendency to misread what I write. I said Tosin is a dynamic player. I wouldn't listen to AaL on a daily basis, but I do hear things I like as I said before. Yes, I too like his playing better than the other players you just mentioned as well.

I don't have to check Youtube. It does take a certain amount of dedication, but it's not an inherent skill. It all comes down to learning certain techniques. If you sit there with a metronome woodshedding then you're going to be able to pull these things off. Let me also just say that a lot that appears complicated is often a lot easier than you probably think. On the flip side sometimes the most unimpressive sounding stuff is the hardest to master. In the end it should be about whatever sounds good, not what's the hardest to pull off.

Are you listening to all the nuances from drum performances? Are you analyzing all the rudimentary work, accents, grace notes, etc. etc? No? Then what exactly are you basing this on? If you want to argue then fine, but give me something to actually work with.

Band as in singular, but if we're talking blast beats in general there's no real variation to them. The whole style is extremely straight forward including their choice of fills. Very linear stuff, which is more of an endurance test than anything. Really if you want to spaz out with a blast beat on a rare occasion then by all means knock yourself out, but don't become painfully predictable with it.

I've come to the epiphany that some people simply enjoy mac & cheese so much so that it's all they want to eat. I will say there's a plethora of other foods to expand your taste buds. You can choose to heed the advice or not. It's entirely up to you.

Look at me continuing this when I said I wouldn't. Just can't help my damn self. :lol: *Feel free to pm me if you want to converse further. I'd prefer not to derail this thread any more so.
I wasn't trying to get into an argument at all. It's jut that I that "generic" wasn't the right word. :cry:

pb080639.jpg

12"

Nunslaughter - Goat
Satan's Host - Metal From Hell (Yellow Vinyl)
Demon Pact - Released From Hell
Oak - II (White Vinyl)
Rot In Hell - NIU
Sacriphyx/Resuscitator Split
Morbosidad/Perversor Split

7"

Pharaoh - S/T (Swirl Vinyl)

Tape

Winter - Into Darkness
Day Of Mourning - Onwards To Tragedy And Contempt

Past few weeks:

pb270650.jpg